Talk

Advanced search

To be anxious about Doggy daycare

(5 Posts)
FluffyEwok Tue 11-Apr-17 07:10:38

My 10 month old is going to Doggy daycare one-day a week. I'm so anxious! the man who runs it has brilliant reviews and has some dogs with him all week. I'm worried in case she escaped or runs away while off lead confused

BiteyShark Tue 11-Apr-17 07:34:10

Is this the first time you have used a dog walker/daycare. I had to give permission for my dog to be walked off lead but he was a puppy at the time and I wanted to build on his recall whilst young. How is your dog generally with recall?

To be honest I think my dog has as much chance running away with me when off lead as he does with the person who looks after him whilst I am at work. If you are worried why don't you mention this as he will probably put your mind at rest about where he will walk your dog etc and how he recalls them.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Tue 11-Apr-17 07:48:26

If your dog is predisposed to running away then it could just as easily happen with you. Our dog goes to an amazing doggy daycare. She has never run away but did get lost once. (Not the dog walker's fault at all - she had all the dogs with her, got to a gate in the woods, went to unlatch the gate then turned round to count the dogs before she opened it, and mine was gone so she rushed back the way they'd come with all the other dogs to look for her.... Except it turns out she's so tiny she'd just gone under the gate rather than waiting for it to he opened so was ahead rather than behind.) What really reassured me was the way the dog walker dealt with the situation - she immediately contacted every other dog walker she knows, lots of whom were out walking there too, and asked them to contact everyone they knew, and within a few minutes every dog walker in the woods was looking for her. She was found within 15 mins. (Upon realising she was lost, the dog had taken herself back to the car to wait - smart cookie! She was found sat next to it, waiting to be let in.)

For peace of mind, ask the dog walker what their policies are for lost dogs and what back up is in place etc.

FluffyEwok Tue 11-Apr-17 09:09:31

He's going to try her long lead first. He seemed very confident. The dog will come back but tends to run towards other dogs. she's going to be walked with other dogs and tends to just stay at play with them

SallyHandsom Tue 11-Apr-17 09:13:52

If you ask for her to be walked on lead then he'll keep your dog on lead.

But they're professionals so do put some trust in them.

It's more than his reputation is worth to let dogs go running off and get lost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now