Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Recommendation for dry food

(16 Posts)
Handbaghag Mon 10-Apr-17 13:31:38

My terrier has been on Iams dry food but doesn't really seem that keen. Was on wet food before that. Can't afford Royal Canin but wondered if anyone has any recommendations of other dry food I could try. Wagg is cheaper on Amazon but is it any good?

BiteyShark Mon 10-Apr-17 13:39:23

allaboutdogfood.co.uk is a good site as you can compare quality and cost as some of the better quality kibble doesn't actually cost that much as you need less quantity.

PenguinDi Mon 10-Apr-17 13:39:51

Get the best you can afford, don't be pressured into getting the £50+ bag just to please the mob. I feed my boy Wagg with a spoonful of meat chunks and he loves it, 1 big bag lasts us about 2-3 months.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Mon 10-Apr-17 17:40:40

IF you look on the all about dog food website you will notice that not all the better quality dog food comes with the very high price tag. There is a lot of choice!

WombatStewForTea Mon 10-Apr-17 23:11:31

Definitely recommend the all about dog food website. A vet once told me they wouldn't feed anything rated below 3.5 to their own dog so I set that as a benchmark and after trying a few mine is now on Applaws.

SkeletonSkins Mon 10-Apr-17 23:13:40

CSJ is good value (order online) and I've had good results on it. Lots of agility people feed it.

Ollivander84 Mon 10-Apr-17 23:17:26

Also I think fetch are doing 15% off first orders so that might be a good stock up if price is similar. Zooplus is a good site to buy from as well

Ollivander84 Mon 10-Apr-17 23:19:00

Yep still on and next day free delivery. Go through quidco too wink I'm a proper pet food tart with where I buy from!
https://fetch.co.uk

imonaplane Tue 11-Apr-17 07:38:11

Wainwright's from Pets at Home is a good quality dry food, especially the grain free. It's the only dry food one of my dogs can eat without upsetting his stomach.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 11-Apr-17 07:44:08

We buy Nature's Way. 50-60% meat, wheat free and working dog recipe so it's VAT free. £35 for a huge sack, lasts about 5 weeks for a 25kg dog.

Have a look at the meat content of the food they currently have, the big brands are often under 5% and loaded with crap.

Handbaghag Tue 11-Apr-17 08:40:36

Thanks guys. I bought Iams because I'd remembered seeing it in a vet years ago and the daily cost was similar to the wet food I was buying. However, the dogs coat is dull (as a terrier would be I suppose?). The price increase for some of those 3.5's is significantsad

BiteyShark Tue 11-Apr-17 08:52:14

Did you put in your dogs details into that website? It then gives you a price per day. Mine comes in at about 60pence per day for a 5/5 Millie's Wolfheart dry food.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Tue 11-Apr-17 09:03:34

As the quality of the food improves you need to feed less of it so it does workout economical to feed better food.

I have a rough coated terrier and her coat shines.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 11-Apr-17 09:20:06

Our large mixed breed costs about £1 a day in the Nature's Way food. She came to us with a dull and rough coat aged a year, and within a month was shiny and soft.

It gets 4.2/5.

JaneEyre70 Wed 12-Apr-17 20:42:12

Mine is on Millie's wolfheart. He's got a glossy shiny coat, great teeth and is generally in really good condition. I think I spend around £40 a large bag but that lasts us around 5/6 weeks so it's relatively inexpensive. And saves on big vets bills - he had awful colitis when he was younger, fingers crossed we've not had that for around 2 years now.

LimeJellyHead Mon 24-Apr-17 15:29:20

I recently wanted to switch my dogs from Natures Menu wet pouches as it was getting expensive now we have added a GSD to our brood, lol. The best by far, from my research on www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk is Orijen (dry food). I am switching my dogs to that as we speak. Acana also looks nearly as good. Made in the same factory and with the same ingredients but with less meat content, so a tad cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now