Talk

Advanced search

Urinary Incontinence in Old Dog

(7 Posts)
Northernpowerhouse Mon 10-Apr-17 12:11:22

I have a collie bitch aged 14.5 years who has started to "leak" a little bit over the last 6 months. She has had UTIs a couple of times in the past and her behaviour is not the same so I really don't think it is that. I have dealt with it by taking her out more regularly and also taking her out sometimes during the night if she appears restless. She does clean herself up quite often but I am now finding small damp patches where she has been lying down.

I know that it is possible to get medication to help with this. Does anyone have any experience of using this on their dog? Were there any side effects. I am in 2 minds about medicating for a symptom of old age but she is otherwise quite fit for her age. Her house training has always been excellent so I think she is quite stressed by these little accidents.

ComradeHelveticaBlack Mon 10-Apr-17 16:42:53

Our rescue Doberman had been used for breeding and was very over weight. She also had to be spayed. We noticed after a couple of weeks that she had become incontinent ( a side effect after spaying older bitches apparently) She was put on Propalin syrup 3x daily and has no side effects. Worth a chat with your vet.

Partyfops Mon 10-Apr-17 20:21:12

Our lab used propalin/urilin for about 8 years side effect free. It just tightens things.

Northernpowerhouse Mon 10-Apr-17 20:28:26

Thanks for the replies. I have made an appointment to talk to the vet on wednesday.smile

MaynJune Tue 11-Apr-17 20:13:08

My lurcher girl is on Incurin. No side effects, no leaks. It works really well. She has one tablet a day but some only need half a tablet and others two a day.

Northernpowerhouse Wed 19-Apr-17 16:13:42

An update... She has had a blood test and is showing signs of mild kidney problems. She has been drinking more. The vet thinks that the incontinence is a combination of age and increased urine volume. So we are going to put her on the Hills kidney diet and use propalin syrup.

I did buy and use some doggy diapers over the weekend as she was drip drip dripping round the house. She was fine with them but hopefully won't need them once the treatment starts working.

MaynJune Thu 20-Apr-17 16:48:37

It's good to get an update.
Funnily enough, I got Propalin syrup today from the vet for my very elderly collie who drips too. It may not work with a male dog but I'm willing to give it a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now