Talk

Advanced search

Westie food advice

(6 Posts)
KinkyAfro Sun 09-Apr-17 18:52:52

Mum has a 5 yr old Westie girl, she's perfectly healthy full of beans, good weight but sometimes she just doesn't eat. Mum will give her breakfast, she'll eat a couple of mouthfuls and leave the rest, same with her evening meal. Is this normal of Westies? I have a lab so this never arises!

BiteyShark Sun 09-Apr-17 19:02:58

Not sure if westies are prone to that but my spaniel is the same but is now starting to look underweight sad

If your mums dog is a good weight and active I would not be particularly worried.

KinkyAfro Sun 09-Apr-17 19:37:03

It's weird, she's been 8kg since she was fully grown, just can't understand how she maintains her weight

SistersOfPercy Wed 12-Apr-17 21:07:02

I have a Scottie like that (and had a westie the same a few years ago). He's just not food motivated. Food goes down at teatime, sometimes he eats it, sometimes it's left and he picks at it until the following teatime, sometimes he doesn't eat it at all. He's a normal weight, if anything has a fat arse.
As Bitey has said as long as she's maintaining weight I wouldn't worry.

FrancisCrawford Fri 14-Apr-17 00:10:41

My westie goes through phases like this.

He's definitely not motivated by food when it comes to training either!

OldandJaded Sat 15-Apr-17 00:01:02

Yes my westie does this from time to time, I stopped worrying when it became apparent that human food wasn't included in the boycott! If the dog is lively and healthy enough, doesn't have a weight issue and is generally well, I wouldn't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now