Talk

Advanced search

How often do you bath your dog?

(38 Posts)
MaxwellAndPeterson Sun 09-Apr-17 14:19:49

With dog shampoo I mean; not just a rinse down with water to get mud off.

I keep reading conflicting advice; anything from once a month to only a couple of times a year.

ZilphasHatpin Sun 09-Apr-17 14:21:38

I do about twice a year.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sun 09-Apr-17 14:21:49

Husky once a year.
Lurcher just when really scruffy.
Rotty to heavy to get in the bath so wilko spray on shampoo and a cloth!!

CornflakeHomunculus Sun 09-Apr-17 14:25:34

Mine only get a proper bath with shampoo if they've rolled in something really unsavoury on a walk which won't come off just with water.

I honestly can't remember the last time any of mine had a proper bath, a year ago maybe? Quite possibly longer.

SquedgieBeckenheim Sun 09-Apr-17 14:28:07

Twice a year as a general rule.
More often if he rolls in something stinky.
It's not good to wash them too often as it strips the protective oils from their coat.

lucyjordon Sun 09-Apr-17 14:41:12

They don't need baths with detergents, unless covered in something particularly awful. It's not good fir them (the same way that our skin isn't designed to be washed daily and have detergents put on it, but there you go!)

picklemepopcorn Sun 09-Apr-17 14:42:33

About once a year. He's short haired, like a JRT. It's really about fox poo. If I can manage it with wipes/spray I do, but sometimes it's too much!!

MovingtoParadise Sun 09-Apr-17 14:44:13

Every week with dog shampoo. She's a terrier with long hair so the underside of her gets filthy. And I don't like smelly dogs.

Her coat is very shiny and healthy. And she loves her bath.

MardAsSnails Sun 09-Apr-17 14:49:28

Every week for YellowDog - without it his allergies get too much and he licks himself sore. And he stinks of Dog otherwise.

OldGirl... I think she was bathed at some point in 2016... she hates it, doesn't smell, is short haired and remains white so I never see the need.

RoseDog Sun 09-Apr-17 14:51:07

About twice a year, she's a Staffy and doesn't like getting dirty when out, bathing her is a traumatic event for everyone involved!

1nsanityscatching Sun 09-Apr-17 14:51:28

Eric goes to the groomers every six weeks, so he's bathed then. If we are lucky and he doesn't roll in something disgusting in between times he isn't bathed at home. However in reality he is bathed once or twice between grooms because of his delight in rolling in fox poo or dead and rotting animals. He's quite happy to have a bath and very happy to have one when the weather is hot though.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Sun 09-Apr-17 14:55:20

Groomers very couple of months and other than that, only if they're filthy or stinky.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Sun 09-Apr-17 15:00:33

Every week or two, but she's a tiny white fluffy dog with a passion for mud and fox poo...

BiteyShark Sun 09-Apr-17 15:04:05

Groomers every 5-6 weeks.

witwootoodleoo Sun 09-Apr-17 15:05:33

As little as possible as it just strips the oil from his coat. Most things can be hosed off. Very occassional something needs a spot clean with dog shampoo but even then only a handful of times a year.

IME the doggy smell is cut down no end by a good quality grain free diet.

MovingtoParadise Sun 09-Apr-17 15:08:18

Mines is on raw food so no grain here. Hate that strong doggy smell.

I think how often you bath depends on the dog and what impact it has on their coat.

My girls off to be hand stripped at the groomers this week for the first time and they were very keen to know if she'd been bathed/handled a lot as they're worried about her not liking it.

GinAndOnIt Sun 09-Apr-17 15:31:23

I think GinDog has been washed twice in his five year life confused

To be fair, we only have a walk in shower, with a shower head that doesn't stretch, so you have to actually get in there with him to shower him. It's not the greatest of fun.

He gets in terrible states with DP at work, but DP normally has him sit in the truck for a while before they come home, so all nastiness dries up and then flakes off, or GinDog licks it off.

PossumInAPearTree Sun 09-Apr-17 15:32:48

Most days because she rolls in fox shit a lot and gets totally plastered in it.

Asmoto Sun 09-Apr-17 15:35:12

When he starts to get smelly grin. Maybe about once every six weeks.

MaxwellAndPeterson Sun 09-Apr-17 17:10:25

Thanks everyone. That's very interesting about them not smelling as much on a grain free diet.

blueskyinmarch Sun 09-Apr-17 17:12:34

Yellow lab - only when she rolls in fox poo! I actually love her slight doggy aroma.

witwootoodleoo Sun 09-Apr-17 17:14:53

Their poo also smells less on a grain free diet and they tend to have much less smelly farts too grin

Shurleyshummishtake Sun 09-Apr-17 17:20:30

Wow

Mine gets washed about twice a day in winter! She loves long walks across the fields and arrives home absolutely caked in mud

I use a very mild shampoo and we have a walk in shower

In summer it's more like twice a week for a full wash but paws a few times a day after walks or being in the garden

Have always done this and her skin is fine. She is a random rag tag mix of breeds (rescue) and her coat will never be glossy anyway and we don't much care!

Didn't realise it was a bad thing to do

How do you stop your house being filthy?

Floralnomad Sun 09-Apr-17 18:12:06

Mine gets done every 2/3 weeks at the groomers and only in between if he rolls in something revolting .

witwootoodleoo Sun 09-Apr-17 18:15:23

Shurley most stuff will just wash off without shampoo. Mud certainly does. It's really only if they've rolled in poo or found a really stagnant and sludgy pond that mine need shampoo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now