Talk

Advanced search

Help needed with dog agression

(8 Posts)
DaveMinion Sat 08-Apr-17 15:49:22

Hi there. My first post in this section and really need a hand with what to do. We haven't been to vet yet but will book an appointment for Monday.

Our staffy is 4 next month. We got him at 10 months old. He is spayed (was done around 18 months) and always been chilled out, healthy and happy with other dogs and people.

The last few months he has started being snappy with other dogs. He has never bitten but will meet a dog tail wagging and happy and then suddenly jump and growl. He will recall easily and will be fine immediately after. This isn't all dogs. Generally those that are bigger than him. Never labradors though. He loves them. With dogs he has always known, again he is fine. He regularly has contact with my mums dog (lurcher cross who try's to jump on his back and he hates it but never snaps at him) and my friends 2 rescue dogs who again he loves.

It's starting to become really embarrassing and ruining walks that were perfectly happy and a joy to take him on before. Plus there is the staffy stigma that he was a perfect ambassador to change before but not now. Nothing has changed (apart from he is on a raw diet now) and his behaviour at home is still perfect. He did have a query torn acl but has had no problems for months without treatment and doesn't seem to be in any pain at all (he is very good at hiding pain but he doesn't seem to have pain on examination (he used to wince when touching his leg).

Any help would be appreciated as he is at the point when he won't be let off lead and not taken to places he loves like the park and the beach as we can't trust his behaviour. If he likes a dog he will happily run around with them and play though.

Thanks in advance.

DaveMinion Sat 08-Apr-17 15:50:40

Forgot to add - he was attacked several times when younger and at the time it didn't faze him and he didn't change at all. Not sure if that's a factor though.

DaveMinion Sat 08-Apr-17 16:37:08

Ok think I have found the problem myself. He has a sore tummy. Vets for us and back to kibble. He hasn't settled on the raw so wondering if it's to do with that.

BiteyShark Sat 08-Apr-17 18:42:17

Aww OP hope his tummy settles and I am sure it is a relief that it's probably something physical that you can treat rather than behavioural.

SparklingRaspberry Sat 08-Apr-17 23:24:01

Please don't put him back on kibble sad

What meat are feeding him? A lot of dogs don't get on great with pork, so for example try the elimination diet.

Carry on feeding raw just feed him one type of meat at a time. If he seems okay on it, add another type of meat. You'll soon realise what doesn't agree with him.

airforsharon Sun 09-Apr-17 06:57:51

I'm going to disagree with Sparkling, if his behaviour was good on the kibble, stick to it. One of my dogs can't process fat/protein and needs a very low fat/high carb diet. I was initially horrified by the very cheap and cheerful food the vet recommended but her digestion and behaviour have improved ten-fold. Like you I didn't have her from a tiny pup (she was 6 months old) and vet said a poor/erratic diet when very young (which I suspect she had) can lead to intolerances when they're older.

DaveMinion Tue 11-Apr-17 13:11:42

Well we are back on kibble And so much happier. Nowhere near as much burping (was puking a bit when burping before) and tummy seems back to normal. We have been persevering with raw for a year but although he loves it and the price is awesome it just isn't settling.

We have a high quality kibble so don't worry about that lol.

Thanks for the help.

timeforabrewnow Sun 16-Apr-17 12:56:00

Our dog is only able to eat Bakers dried food. Anything else makes him sick.

He's a healthy 13 year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now