Talk

Advanced search

Dog law - what's the one about aggressive dogs within gardens?

(6 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Fri 07-Apr-17 17:54:20

I'll try to explain the set of circumstances as best I can - but I'm seriously pissed off with this damned woman.

End of our street there's a house where the woman owns two small dogs - think one's a mini schnauzer, the other is something I think border terrierry to give you an idea of size. House has a garden gate that was the openwork wrought iron type style so obviously a small dog/cat could get through the gaps. When she moved in she got about up to just below waist height solid boarded in on the gate - so she could clap her hands and deem it "secure" for the dogs.

Dogs are never walked. She kicks them out into the garden unsupervised and locked out there - and they understandably go ballistic at anyone walking along the pavement outside (house is on a corner plot - so two pavements). I suspect that is at least partially done to deter people from parking on the bit of road she's deemed to be "her" parking space. Now the weather's warmer the dogs are being kicked out more and more.

The fencing is definitely not a height to keep her dogs secure - my kids have gone past on the pavement before while the dogs go ballistic and one's nearly gotten over the fencing and even I found it quite intimidating while the kids were bloody terrified... tonight I walked my own dogs along (on lead, the more reactive dog harnessed and double leaded and muzzled) and again the dog was nearly over the fence and definitely wanted to have a pop at my dogs. This time she huffily came out and called the dogs in without a word to anyone passing by who was caught up with the kerffuffle.

I'm now at the point where I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before one of her dogs does completely clear the solid part of the fencing - they seem particularly reactive toward the sound of kids, or other dogs and unfortunately if I'm walking along the path I have one or both with me. No alternative route out of our street as it's a cul de sac either.

I'm now concerned that if there IS a dog incident she'll try to pin it on my dog on the grounds that muzzle=vicious obviously as well and I'm wondering if there's some grounds in terms of the aggressive dog regs to get leverage put on her to at least fence the garden properly. I just can't remember where the actual line lies rather than where various residents of AIBU think it lies.

Anyone know? If the dog lovers in the street are feeling threatened by it - god help anyone who isn't a doggie person.

Ylvamoon Fri 07-Apr-17 18:24:08

Report her to the dog warden ...

Floralnomad Fri 07-Apr-17 19:12:19

I don't think anything can be done until one of them does actually get over the fence although the dog warden could give her some advice .

LilCamper Sat 08-Apr-17 12:59:55

If her dogs manage to escape they will be deemed out of control, your dogs are on lead and under control.

The law changed in 2015. You only have to feel threatened by a dog's behaviour to report to the dog warden.

Chickenagain Sat 08-Apr-17 13:09:04

Please get some Pet Corrector & carry it with you. It is available in a small size so you can carry it in a pocket. Or a small drinks tin with a dozen small stones inside & taped at the top to create a rattle (the Fevertree tonic ones are perfect). Just be prepared for the dogs, should they escape.

They are causing a nuisance & the council should act (unlikely). Just make sure that you & your children are aware & can take defensive action if necessary.

ImSexyAndIKnowIt Sat 08-Apr-17 13:15:13

There's 2 dogs I know who dragged 2 separate dogs through their garden fence and mauled them. They have put wooden boards up now on the metal gates but I'm sure that was their choice and they weren't ordered to do it. I doubt the police would do anything for a dog on dog attack and the dog warden would only probably have a word with the owner and advise her to keep her dogs under control in the future.

There's a Labrador I walk past sometimes in its front garden and it goes nuts when a dog goes past, the gate isn't secure either and I know that this dog has attacked loads of dogs in this area. It attacked my friends dog out of nowhere but the owner still carries on oblivious walking it off lead and pretends it's never done it before when it attacks yet another dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now