Talk

Advanced search

can I use large crate for puppy

(8 Posts)
freshstart24 Fri 07-Apr-17 09:38:52

We have a gorgeous Labrador puppy arriving at the end of April. The crate training thing is new to me but I've heard good things about it and the puppy's breeder recommended it (although he hasn't been in one so far), so we've decided to use this method.

I have ordered a large crate but have now read that the puppy needs a small crate just big enough to move about in or else he won't see it as his den and will happily go to the toilet in it.

I'd rather not shell out for a small crate which he will quickly grow out of if I do t need to.

Can anyone give me any advice please?

BiteyShark Fri 07-Apr-17 09:45:21

I think some people recommend partitioning it so it is small enough at the beginning.

However I have an XL and my dog is on the small side of medium and he only toileted in it once when I forgot to set the alarm at night to take him out when he was young. Saying that, his bed almost takes up all the room in his crate which might have put him off using it as a toilet.

I use my crate as somewhere for him to stay and be safe and sleep so did not buy it specifically in mind for toilet training hence it being the largest I could find.

No1HolidayPlanner Fri 07-Apr-17 09:45:40

We bought and used a large crate from the outset ( puppy was an 8 week old golden retriever/poodle). She never toileted in it once! I put vet bed one side and laid the blanket with mums smell over the rest of it. I must say we find the crate really good. She is happy in it at night or when we go outsmile

punter Fri 07-Apr-17 09:46:27

I got a small crate for my lab puppy when he arrived. The first night I could hear him banging about in it and crying. After settling him down that night I decided to put him in a large crate with loads of blankets, towels, cuddly toy etc etc. Put blanket over the top like a bird cage, radio on very low, tip toed out, he slept through till about 6am with no accidents. They grow very quickly so I know what you mean.

Dottymum2 Fri 07-Apr-17 16:44:25

Hi we have a really large Ellie Bo crate so we didn't have to buy another and my puppy is a cockapoo so looked lost in it when we first got him. Has been fine in it thou so far, settles in it at night (most of the time!), has toileted in there but doesn't as a rule x

rizlett Fri 07-Apr-17 16:50:01

maybe partition it by using a cardboard box with a blanket in and one side cut down so he can get in and out for a bed and then put newspaper in the other half of the crate so if he does pee its easy to change.
once he is older the box can be thrown away.

Wolfiefan Fri 07-Apr-17 17:29:30

Join the FB group dog training advice and support @freshstart24.
They have great files on toilet training and crate training. Really useful group.

Nojellyintrifle Fri 07-Apr-17 17:31:55

I second that FB group. All positive reward training.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now