Talk

Advanced search

How many toys does your puppy have? How often do you replaceor buy new and where can I buy a soft toy she won't rip the stuffing out of?

(25 Posts)
Goingtobeawesome Wed 05-Apr-17 17:23:51

She's 8 months and a golden retriever. Yesterday and today she's killed Father Christmas, a hamburger and Mr Fox. She pulls out the stuffing and leaves it all around the house. I do sew up toys and have bought her a second Mr Fox previously but is it pointless as she's getting bigger and rips up her soft toys? I'm sure I've read they need soft toys but at £8+ each she's costing me a fortune!grin🐕

SkeletonSkins Wed 05-Apr-17 17:33:09

We gave up on stuff toys as they just got so damaged so quickly (including our own mr fox!!)

I've found these types quite good:
www.petsathome.com/shop/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10651&categoryId=&productId=162760&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10151

Or these which have big squeakers instead of fluff and are less easy to break into

www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/outward-hound-invincibles-tough-seamz-gecko-2-squeak-dog-toy

If you have a Range nearby, I found that they had a really good variety of 'tough' dog toys!

Also, if you do want them to have a quick thrill with a stuffed toy, a 20p one from a charity shop is just as good!

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Apr-17 17:35:11

Soft toys get deaded a lot here. Our only current survivor is a firehose snake who does seem pretty resistant

BiteyShark Wed 05-Apr-17 17:44:05

Tough plastic type toys only and even some of them don't last. Stuffed toys were a lost cause as soon as the adult teeth arrived.

TweedAddict Wed 05-Apr-17 17:50:46

Top hint! Dog toys are much cheaper on amazon.

The only thing I have found to last a while is the kong wubba.

Goingtobeawesome Wed 05-Apr-17 18:03:59

Her last toys were from the USA via amazon and are meant to be indestructible. She loves her soft toys so I'll check out second hand, thanks for the tip. Safety wise will children's toys be okay?
Off to look at the links now. Much appreciated.

CornflakeHomunculus Wed 05-Apr-17 18:34:59

The only soft-ish toys that have lasted reasonably well in this house are the Tuffy ones but even then it's only certain designs, others get shredded almost immediately 🙄

Generally I stick to non-soft toys though and I've built up quite a collection that have survived pretty well so far.

Some Kong toys are great. Mine have got the dental ball which they love and has lasted ages. The Squeezz and Squeezz Jel ranges are also popular and don't seem to encourage destruction. I found a new range at Crufts called Xpressions which they like and have currently lasted almost a month which is a lot longer than most!! I've tried the Wubba but they had the fabric destroyed very quickly.

West Paw Zogoflex toys seem pretty robust as well. Mine have the Tux and the Jive ball.

GoughNuts are really, really sturdy and come with a lifetime guarantee. If your dog manages to get into the red core of the toy they'll replace it for you.

Proper mini rugby balls go down well here. I tend to pick up the novelty seasonal ones at a local sports shop. Mine have got two, one has lasted a year so far and is still going strong. I have to reinflate them occasionally but they're still intact.

Fleece tuggies can be good if you want something soft. For some reason mine don't try and destroy theirs though it gets played with plenty.

It can be really hit and miss what lasts and what doesn't. My lot have got a grotty old dressing gown cord that has been kicking around for years, gets played with all the time and is still almost pristine. On the other hand some supposedly tough toys get disembowelled in seconds. You do eventually get a feel for what is and isn't likely to survive your dog's. I bought mine a load of new toys at Crufts and only one was a miss in terms of sturdiness.

TweedAddict Wed 05-Apr-17 19:37:23

Odd isn't it how some dogs will go though a certain type of toy yet others they don't manage to rip to shreds

Goingtobeawesome Wed 05-Apr-17 19:51:07

I bought her this today from Dobbies' and it's about 1.5 inches long now hmm. She had fun though grin.

Goingtobeawesome Wed 05-Apr-17 19:53:16

Goughnut toys at £61, £73!!!!

CornflakeHomunculus Wed 05-Apr-17 20:02:50

This is the official UK stockist of GoughNuts, they're certainly not that much on there!!

picklemepopcorn Wed 05-Apr-17 20:07:12

We've got a snake with squeakers instead of stuffing which has lasted well, a squeaky rubber bone which is popular when others are not, and the empty stuffed toys still get flung around and played with.

Bubble2bubble Wed 05-Apr-17 20:10:55

Rope tuggy toys from Poundstretcher or Home Bargains here, some last longer than others but we have few that have been on the go for a few months. Tennis balls are also good.

Stuffed toys rarely last longer than five minutes.

Despite all the toys I buy them, my current pups' absolutely favourite thing is a plastic bottle. I take off the lid in case they eat it, and watch them in case the bottle splits but there is something about the noise a plastic bottle makes that they just love strange little monsters

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Apr-17 20:15:43

The kong wubba didn't last for us either - too easy to hold down and bite at the fabric I think.
Another long lasting toy here has been bottle lion as you can replace the water bottle and squeaker, and for some reason it doesn't get chewed in the same way

picklemepopcorn Wed 05-Apr-17 20:22:56

Actually, a bottle is great fun. Mine likes a 2L bottle with the lid on. It scoots away from him when he tries to grab it. Such fun!

Cannothtinkofaname Thu 06-Apr-17 08:11:06

We're still on a quest to find the indestructable toy too.We have a cockapoo and every toy she has, she sits and picks at the stitching until she can get in and destroy!
All she has is nylon bones that she loves to chew on - and a collection of stones whch she loves! She seems to know which ones they are as well because if we throw them back in the garden, she goes and searches for them!
It does worry me with her teeth but she just seems to like having them in her mouth - strange dog!

BiteyShark Thu 06-Apr-17 08:18:58

Kong traxx, kong air dog squeaker football and kong jumbler ball have done well with our chewy pup.

I simply don't buy soft toys anymore as sometimes within 10 mins he had chewed off bits of them sad

ImSexyAndIKnowIt Thu 06-Apr-17 08:20:12

Mine have some roadkill type ones, flat soft toys with minimal stuffing, which they love. They have taken most of the stuffing out admittedly but they still play tug of war with the body of it.
Kong Wubba we've had for a few weeks now and that's still going strong.
I bought a Tuffies one Christmas (think it was a number 8 on the scale) that was destroyed by Christmas Day afternoon.
Like a PP said, it's sometimes the design of a toy rather than the toughness. If it has a weak spot, like if it's a rhino shape for example, my dog will just hone in on the horn and destroy it that way.
He's better when there's less sticky out parts to rip off.

nonetcurtains Thu 06-Apr-17 12:31:43

We make soft toys for our Rottie from old socks. For her size mouth I use 4 (all odd socks saved from the wash! Where do the lost socks go??)
Roll up the first one and push it into the toe of the second. Roll up that and put into the toe of the third, repeat for no. 4.

She loves her 'sockies'. If they come unrolled just start again. They leave no mess, are soft enough to chuck around indoors and cost nothing.
Adjust the number of socks to size of dog.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Thu 06-Apr-17 12:37:56

If she likes soft toys, these are the only ones that withstood my Doberman pup. A bit more expensive, but they've last months instead of minutes.
www.bennythedog.co.uk/brands/Fluff-and-Tuff.html

Goingtobeawesome Thu 06-Apr-17 12:39:13

Thank you everyone. I'm going to make a list and then go shopping.

tabulahrasa Thu 06-Apr-17 13:17:57

I've found none with stuffing that he can't rip it out.

Ones that come without stuffing last longer though.

Goingtobeawesome Thu 06-Apr-17 17:40:12

I've performed surgery on a rabbit, a puppy, a bull and a football. All intact except the football which has lost a lot of stuffinggrin.

applesareredandgreen Thu 06-Apr-17 23:50:58

I have a 10 month old JRT who has over the past few weeks destroyed all his puppy toys and every new toy I've bought him in about 10 mins. He's now down to an antler, a kong wubber which he never chews for some reason, a ball and a rope filled snake which the head is coming off!!! I will have a look at some of these links thank you

picklemepopcorn Fri 07-Apr-17 06:30:57

I let him have the occasional soft toy, as he loves disembowelling them so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now