Talk

Advanced search

Prednisone for brain tumour

(6 Posts)
Partyfops Wed 05-Apr-17 11:13:41

Has anyone give prednisone to their dog for a brain tumour?

If so how long until and difference if any?

AFawnDawn Wed 05-Apr-17 16:28:34

Yes. Our greyhound had a brain tumour. She was given prednisolone a few times and we usually saw an improvement within a few hours. It also improved her appetite.

Unfortunately it was just a sticking plaster for the real issue and she was PTS eventually. I hope you have a better outcome with your DDog.

Partyfops Wed 05-Apr-17 17:29:40

Thank you. We know it is not a cure. She has picked up slightly since this morning.

We have her this last shot as she was otherwise so healthy. But she's 11 so not going to be around forever.

AFawnDawn Wed 05-Apr-17 18:55:39

It's an awful position to be in. Our girl was only 7 and it broke our hearts sad

You never know though, presumably some tumours can be slow growing, so who knows there might be a happy ending for your DDog. I hope so flowers

LookAtAllTheBullshit Wed 05-Apr-17 19:35:32

Not done it for any dogs I've owned, but when nursing have treated patients with dexamethasone for certain brain tumours.
Steroids decrease the mass of tumours-sometimes significantly to either make them operable on or to suppress and limit damage in the brain.
Hope your dog is happy and comfortable-good treatment choice if so, not a cute as you've acknowledged.

LookAtAllTheBullshit Wed 05-Apr-17 19:36:34

Cure-not cute, sorry autocorrect not an insensitive poster!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now