Talk

Advanced search

Would you be offended by this?

(40 Posts)
Bettyandtheboy Tue 04-Apr-17 21:02:00

DD1 is an animal lover and loves to point out dogs in the park when we see one. She is a cautious little bean but as she is only 2, I always remind her that 'we don't touch dogs we don't know though, do we?'

Sometimes this is overheard by the dog owner and the past few times, some have been a bit snippy and commented on how friendly their dog is and that I shouldn't be worried.

Now, normally I would pass it off as someone being over sensitive but it has happened a few times now so if thought I'd ask lovely MN!

Would you be offended if you overheard a mum remind a toddler not to touch your dog?

Swissgemma Tue 04-Apr-17 21:03:09

I have a dog and tell my 20 month old not to touch other dogs.

TimeforANewTwatName Tue 04-Apr-17 21:03:19

No

rascallyrascal Tue 04-Apr-17 21:03:48

No. I would think "what a sensible mum!". I do the same with my little one. I tell him that not all dogs like being stroked like ours do and some dogs get scared and might bite.

TessyFew Tue 04-Apr-17 21:05:36

Absolutely not. I trust responsible parents to bring their children up not to approach dogs without knowing them. Doesn't matter if my dog is friendly or not! I love my mutt and he's soppy as but you never know.

So ridiculous when dog owners get offended by things like that.

CalmItKermitt Tue 04-Apr-17 21:07:00

No. I would applaud you for being sensible and teaching your child to be sensible too.

MrsJayy Tue 04-Apr-17 21:07:19

Not at all my dog isn't that keen on 2 yearolds so what you are teaching her is spot on. Some owners are far to precious about their dogs. imo would be the first to have a go at you if your toddler went haring after their qdogs

user1483387154 Tue 04-Apr-17 21:07:54

Every parent should be teaching this to their children!!!!
You never know if a dog is friendly or not and should always ask permission from the owner before approaching a dog. The owners who have said anything different to you are crazy!

BellaGoth Tue 04-Apr-17 21:08:20

Keep doing what you're doing, you are absolutely right.

I usually say to my 4 YO "remember not all dogs are used to children like yours are", most people smile / thank me.

yecartmannew Tue 04-Apr-17 21:08:28

I have had small children try to touch my dogs
I always tell them they must first ask thier parent and then ask the dogs owner
Only once they have done both are they allowed to pet my dogs
It builds in good habits
Not everyone with a small child knows they should teach this so educates the parents as well

Floralnomad Tue 04-Apr-17 21:09:09

You are absolutely doing the correct thing and any normal , decent human being would then ask , assuming they had a suitable friendly dog , whether she wanted to stroke it .

TheGirlFromNoWhere Tue 04-Apr-17 21:09:32

Sadly no longer a dog owner, but if I overheard i would give you a grateful smile, and be pleased that you were teaching your child about boundaries with animals. I do with mine too!
The amount of parents that used to glare and mutter at me when I would stop their children from walking up and petting my poor old nervous ddog never ceased to amaze me hmm

MrsJayy Tue 04-Apr-17 21:09:56

I wouldn't pet somebodies dog without asking.

justdontevenfuckingstart Tue 04-Apr-17 21:11:34

Totally the right thing to do and I would appreciate that more than kids running up to my dogs unexpectedly.

chipsandpeas Tue 04-Apr-17 21:11:53

nope id much prefer it than parents who run towards dog who isnt used to children

chipsandpeas Tue 04-Apr-17 21:12:13

let their kids i should have said

JaimeLannister Tue 04-Apr-17 21:12:33

I would think you were teaching your daughter how to be sensible around animals. A very good idea.

UnderTheDesk Tue 04-Apr-17 21:12:38

Definitely not. I would also applaud you. My dog is a big scaredy-cat, so thank you for being sensitive and sensible about him.

Asmoto Tue 04-Apr-17 21:12:40

I'm always impressed when dogwalking if children ask 'can I stroke him?' - I mentally congratulate their parents on teaching them safe behaviour.

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Tue 04-Apr-17 21:12:52

I wouldn't be offended at all, in fact I would as PP say be pleased that you are teaching your daughter such a valuable lesson.
I might however say that mine are very friendly and that you both had my permission to touch them if you would like. Not because I was offended but because my dogs genuinely love children (will actually pull on their leads to go towards a child and need checking) and if a child would like to touch them then I don't mind as long as they have checked with me and their parents first and their parents don't mind.

user1468353179 Tue 04-Apr-17 21:15:29

We've had dogs that were really placid and didn't give a damn about adults walking past them, but didn't like being grabbed by kids. Telling them to keep their distance is a good thing.

scrivette Tue 04-Apr-17 21:16:01

I would be pleased you said that and would then ask you if you would like to stroke the dog.

It really annoys me when children try to stroke my dog, yes he happens to love it but the next dog they run up to may not.

Bubble2bubble Tue 04-Apr-17 21:16:35

Not remotely offended. I would probably then ask if your Dc wanted to meet my dog as one of mine absolutely loves children and is incredibly gentle with them. It's a shame when kids who are interested in dogs don't get a chance to meet them as well.

Wolfiefan Tue 04-Apr-17 21:18:17

I think you are being incredibly sensible. No one should grab hold of a dog they don't know. Ask the owner and approach sensibly.
Mine loves a cuddle BUT some are scared of children or could have an ear infection etc that could lead them to snap.
Any owner who takes offence at you encouraging your child to have manners around dogs and be sensible is an arse!

Bettyandtheboy Tue 04-Apr-17 21:20:00

Fab, thanks for your comments all. Next time someone is snippy, I shall just chalk it up to them being a funny bugger!
And thank you to those who said kind things about my parenting smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now