Talk

Advanced search

Bad news

(20 Posts)
y0rkier0se Tue 04-Apr-17 15:46:10

DDog (approx 12 - a rescue so we're not exactly sure) went into the vets today to have a lump (suspected wart) removed from her foot. During the pre op bloods, they've found high levels of something which have led them to believe she has renal failure. I've left work early and come home as I'm really upset - at first I was convinced the lump was cancerous, then reassured it was more like a wart so had relaxed, so then find this out. Collecting her at 5 as she's been on an IV all day. No idea of the severity yet so no idea of prognosis. I'm struggling to keep it together - yes she's old but as she was a rescue I've only had three years with her. Can't wait to see her but not looking forward to receiving the prognosis. sad

KoalaDownUnder Tue 04-Apr-17 15:51:34

I'm so sorry to hear this. How awful for you. sad I really hope the news is better than expected. Give her a big hug and keep us updated. flowers

ExConstance Tue 04-Apr-17 15:53:01

We had a similar report when our ancient Staffie (12 too) went in to have his teeth sorted out last year. Eventually they decided that the high levels of whatever it was could be down to his age. A year and a bit on he is very gronky with arthritis but no other problems. Hope our dog is OK too.

y0rkier0se Tue 04-Apr-17 15:53:57

Thanks Ex that's reassuring. I daren't get my hopes up that it's something else though - I did that with the lump and then this came up. The lump hasn't been removed - they didn't think it safe to do so due to the renal problems.

y0rkier0se Tue 04-Apr-17 15:54:33

Thanks Koala. Sorry it's a bit of a pity thread I'm just feeling a bit lost!

KoalaDownUnder Tue 04-Apr-17 16:22:58

Don't be sorry - I'd be a wreck if it was my dog! brew

y0rkier0se Tue 04-Apr-17 18:29:07

I've been to collect her. Kidney failure confirmed from her bloods and urine sample, but they can't give me a time frame. She seems ok in herself.

BiteyShark Tue 04-Apr-17 18:35:31

Oh I am so sorry to hear that. Hope DDog stays well in herself for a long time flowers

y0rkier0se Tue 04-Apr-17 19:40:30

Thank you. She has had a malteaser tonight so seems very happy at the moment. blush

Vegansnake Tue 04-Apr-17 20:31:29

Have you considered Alabama rot? I belive that is what killed my dog..he had a wart / blister on his foot and it spread to his kidneys.he was dead with in 2 weeks..I really hope this isn't what your dog has xxx

y0rkier0se Tue 04-Apr-17 21:21:39

Hi Vegan, sorry to hear about your dog. I'd never heard of that before. I don't think that's what she has - having looked at some pictures it certainly does look like that sort of blister and she's a miniature yorkshire terrier who's a bit of a princess, she's not keen on grass and other than going out for a wee isn't bothered about a walk so hasn't been out since we went to the coast before Christmas so seems unlikely but thanks for the info.

y0rkier0se Tue 04-Apr-17 21:22:02

does not* sorry

KoalaDownUnder Wed 05-Apr-17 00:47:07

Oh no, that's awful news. I'm so sorry y0rkier0se. What happens now? Is it just a waiting game? sad

y0rkier0se Wed 05-Apr-17 18:40:15

Yep, it's a case of having her put to sleep when it becomes life limiting. At the moment she is happy and loved and doesn't seem to be in any pain. I hope I will know when the time comes.

KoalaDownUnder Thu 06-Apr-17 00:54:40

That's very hard. I'm so sorry. She's a lucky girl to have you.

dudsville Thu 06-Apr-17 14:07:31

Poor little mite and poor you. It's hard getting bad news when it's unexpected. Every dog lover has been wrecked before - don't apologise, look after yourselves.

y0rkier0se Thu 06-Apr-17 18:49:32

Thanks everyone. We are trying to alter her diet as apparently she isn't able to process protein as well, so we're moving away from meat/dog food to fish and rice type meals. So far she seems to be enjoying them - she's still wolfing her food down.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 06-Apr-17 18:59:40

This may well simply be age related. Elevated renal enzymes often are. If she isn't showing any symptoms then i think calling it renal failure is a bit strong albeit an accurate picture of what is happening.

Dietry support is really useful. Did your vet recommend a renal diet? There are several on the market but i think they are generally only available from your vets. This would be a simple way of providing a diet that wont put ddogs kidneys under further strain.

Def ask your vet about this as a fish diet is actually quite high in protein. Better than red meats though so chicken or fish if he wont eat the renal foods.

Your dog is getting on so kidneys that are struggling isn't a great surprise and whilst im definitely not minimalising try to be positive. The pre-op bloods have flagged this up and they were able to give fluid therapy which will do him the world of good. Did he still have his op?

TheoriginalLEM Thu 06-Apr-17 19:03:05

ah, i see they didn't remove the lump. It is better not to give the kudneys extra work to do especially for something that hopefully wont cause major isdues.

y0rkier0se Thu 06-Apr-17 21:04:42

Thanks TheoriginalLEM, the bloodwork showed majorly high levels - BUN was >50 when it should be 2.1-9.3 apparently, and CREA was 203 when it should be between 35-142 apparently. I don't know if that means more to you than it does to me! Yes she did reccomend a renal diet but she said most dogs find it bland and unappetising and at this stage the most important thing is that she eats. I've ordered pouches none the less, and salmon oil as a supplement. The vet said it's not the protein as such that's an issue but the phosphorus (sp?) and fish is lower than meat, but to feed white fish/salmon over tuna. The vet said she wouldn't respond well to anaesthetic with her kidneys as they are, and the lump has quite drastically reduced in size over the last few days to the point where she is now walking without a limp. It's definitely no longer infected, though we're still cleaning it twice daily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now