Talk

Advanced search

12 year old Weimaraner started pooing in house

(4 Posts)
Cantores Tue 04-Apr-17 13:22:39

She's been doing this for around a year, only occasionally, but it's now just about every day. The other evening I followed her to the back door, opened it, she stood there for a few seconds then came back in the house. 5 minutes later she poo'd in the front hall.

Yesterday she did it twice in the evening, then once in the middle of the night.

She gets a long walk in the morning then a shorter one at around 9pm which has been her routine since we had her. I'm at home with her most days and she has access to the garden during the day. Twice a week I have to leave her for around 3 hours during which time she is fine.

She's a rescue dog. We got her when she was around 3. If DP shouts at the kids, she cowers, always has. DP is losing patience with her now and shouts at her when she does it, which I think is making things worse.

Anyone else have this problem or could offer any advice?

Thanks

BiteyShark Tue 04-Apr-17 13:37:11

Have you been to the vets to make sure there is no obvious physical reason for the pooing indoors. I have just looked up average life expectancy of your breed as I was wondering about old age and google suggests 12-14 years. Could it be something age related?

You need to stop your DP from shouting at her as that clearly isn't working and must be awful for the dog.

WeeMadArthur Tue 04-Apr-17 13:45:12

Our lab is the same age and doing this. With him it's down to nerves in his back going with age so he isn't getting the message that he needs to go until its actually coming out. We are trying metacalm to reduce the pain and inflammation plus a cod liver oil capsule and spoonful of glucosamine and chondroitin to improve joint mobility but apart from keeping an eye on them at all times I don't think there is much you can do. We make sure he goes out as soon as he has eaten but we get a surprise almost every morning which I think is coming out when he is asleep. My house now alternates between smelling of poo and lavender antibacterial spray!

WeeMadArthur Tue 04-Apr-17 13:48:46

And as the previous poster said, there is no point shouting, the dog most likely has no control over when it happens. It's best to act as if nothing unusual has happened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now