Talk

Advanced search

Don't know about when to put old dog to sleep

(6 Posts)
UnderneaththeArchers Tue 04-Apr-17 07:29:20

Fido is a good age. Probably has kidney and/or liver problem but no point in tests and nothing is going to be done. Started to wee and poo in the house about a month ago (and poo is not pleasant). Vet said they were happy to put down a couple of weeks ago, if we wanted.
Fido is eating, but will only eat chicken or sausage (and has always been non-fussy before).
She is pleased to see us, moves about OK, waggy tail etc.
I know it's better to do it before rather than later, but she still seems happy 'in himself' and so it seems wrong.

BiteyShark Tue 04-Apr-17 07:34:25

Hmm that is a hard one, better too early than too late.

Although the accidents are horrible I can see the dilemma if the dog is happy still but it does sound like the quality of life is being reduced sad

UnderneaththeArchers Tue 04-Apr-17 07:42:37

To clarify, the vet wasn't advocating putting down - obviously we would follow that advice if they did. She was offering it if we felt we couldn't cope with the mess in the house. Dog doesn't seem to be upset by doing it.

Mumalade Tue 04-Apr-17 13:24:46

Sorry to hear about your dog. We lost our beloved spaniel last year to kidney disease. I think whatever you do, you will inevitably feel some degree of guilt. I will always feel bad that I let my beautiful girl suffer too long, and I know other people who feel equally as bad that they may have put their pet to sleep too soon. Our vet was really supportive and one thing he always emphasised to me was "you will know" when the time is right....when my dog was first diagnosed I didn't comprehend what he meant, but towards the end I understood (I had come to the agonising decision to have her put to sleep, but realised she was dying and she passed away peacefully at home). Kidney disease will, of course, get progressively worse, but my dog was diagnosed at the beginning of the year, eventually passing away in November....I will always be grateful for those precious months with her. If you don't mind me saying, it sounds as though you're planning and preparing for what might come in the future, but not necessarily quite ready to say goodbye yet?

UnderneaththeArchers Tue 04-Apr-17 13:37:35

Thank you. He had a bad day last week and it seemed like the time had come. But then perked up and has been OK since. However, because we thought the end had (almost) come we explained to the DC that it would be imminent - and now they are upset every day because it might happen. But as he is now, it could be weeks. So I feel really rubbish for upsetting them, but they had to be told (they are tweens).

MyGastIsFlabbered Tue 04-Apr-17 14:03:11

It sounds trite but I think you just 'know' when the time is right. I think dogs have a way of letting you know when they've had enough and they're ready. Sorry, that's not much help is it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now