Talk

Advanced search

Bitch in first season, abroad

(10 Posts)
fessmess Mon 03-Apr-17 10:59:47

We have a labradoodle puppy, turning six months later this week and currently planning a camping trip to France for July/August. We've been there loads of times before but never with a puppy, and not with a bitch in season. Anything we should know beforehand? Any tips? Is it just a terrible idea? Thanks in advance.

fessmess Mon 03-Apr-17 11:00:55

Obviously we don't know WHEN her first season will arrive, it's a possibility it could turn up anytime from now to August!!

pinkmagic1 Mon 03-Apr-17 11:02:53

How do you know she will be in season when you go and could you not have her spayed now?. No expert but I think it can be done from about 6 months old.

fessmess Mon 03-Apr-17 11:12:33

We don't know when, it's just she might be and we're waiting until she's had her first season before we neuter her. Been told it's better for their skeletal and emotional development.

No1HolidayPlanner Mon 03-Apr-17 18:03:57

We have a goldendoodle.. She will be 6 months next week.. She came into season 2 days ago!! So you may not have to wait too much longersmile

Thewolfsjustapuppy Tue 04-Apr-17 08:06:12

If she is in heat it would be a nightmare taking her on holiday, and you wouldn't be able to put her in kennels either. It's not her so much that will be difficult it's dogs in the neighbourhood, they will not leave you alone and it will drive them and you crazy.
It's a bit of a gamble, and most likely she will have her first season before August when I guess she will be 10 months old.

fessmess Tue 04-Apr-17 10:39:46

Thank you for your replies. Yes, No1 my brother's dalmation pup came into season at five months so I know it's possible. My pup is 91% poodle and apparently they're often quite late when they have their first one. Thinking now about a UK holiday, booked after she's had it!!

MaidenMotherCrone Tue 04-Apr-17 11:05:53

How can your pup be 91% poodle, surely it's 50/50 or am I thick?

MaidenMotherCrone Tue 04-Apr-17 11:06:40

Is she not first cross then?

fessmess Tue 04-Apr-17 12:14:45

No, here great-grandma was a labradoor and so her gran was 50/50. Gran was bred with a standard poodle, as was her mum. We worked it out, 91% poodle and 9% lab. Might as well have got a poodle!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now