Talk

Advanced search

Rescue Greyhound.

(4 Posts)
AstrantiaMajor Fri 31-Mar-17 21:15:10

Does anyone have any experience? If so how did would you mind telling me how you found an honest owner? Any thing else I should know about taking on this breed. I have only had small dogs in the past.

ScattyHattie Sat 01-Apr-17 01:06:45

I've had 3 greyhounds and 1 lurcher (greyhound x staffy), all have come via rescues but they were still living with race trainer. i love the breed, fairly low maintenance and calming to have around, even when having a mad moment its soon time for another nap.

Greyhounds and lurchers (all sighthound x's) are similar in looks but can be quite different in behavior & energy levels.

As your new to the breed i would advise going with one of the many greyhound rescues rather than homing direct from an individual. The rescues vet check/ neuter if needed and most want to best match owner & dog for the long term and will contract adopter to return to them if needs rehoming anytime during dogs lifespan. If you want a dog that has experienced home lifestyle already there are dogs available that have come in from a home or are in foster care. Homing privately is pot luck, if it turns out the dog is a bad fit or has health issues its your responsibility & previous owner may not want to know.

If in the UK there's Retired Greyhound Trust the branches all operate individually so have their own homing criteria, quality of homing may also vary. There's also plenty of independent greyhound rescues about that home regionally/nationally.
In terms of selecting its worthwhile getting a feel for each potential rescue centre to see how well run it is and support offered pre &post adoption. How well do they assess the dogs to see how they are out on walks for prey drive, around other dogs, kids etc? What questions are they asking to be able to match with owners? Do they vet check, neuter/spay, home check adopters & rehome on a contract?

While similar in form & some traits, greyhounds are individual characters in behaviors and needs. With lots needing homes chances are you'll find a match.

Prey drive isn't simple, it can even vary indoors and out and why some dogs can live with cats and want to chase others on walks. Most my friends with greyhounds & cats have dogs that raced. My girl can change from plodding alongside, loose lead to a screaming flying kite on sight of a squirrel and she's actually much easier to handle now, but a reason why you want a rescue to test what they're like out and about.

Racing greyhounds can live a sheltered life in kennels and most frequently don't realise dogs can come in non-sighthound shapes. Some are fine straight away, others need bit more socialization and few are breed snobs.

Recall they can be trained but like all dogs its dependent on the individual whether its safe to let them off in some place and with other dogs. They can get upto 40mph in 6 strides and become blind to dangers in there path.

They've paper like skin that always seems to get a random scrape (hibiscrub & sudocreme get a lot of use here) and clumsy x speed = great ability to injure themselves . Due to this the insurance cover can be expensive but compared with many breeds they don't have that many hereditary conditions, dental problems & increased oestoscarcoma risk but that can be same with other sighthounds.

AstrantiaMajor Sat 01-Apr-17 08:30:34

Thank you that is really helpful.

MiaowTheCat Mon 03-Apr-17 10:23:31

There's another thread on here that's got more - but there are a lot of pointy nose owners on here. I've just got my second retired greyhound - totally different kettle of fish to my first who had such little chase drive left you wonder how the hell she ever raced... this girl is still pretty damned wired!

They're wonderful dogs, but the size of them means they can get to stuff on your kitchen worktops etc in a way that a small dog can't do - which can be a bit of a shock if you're not used to it - but doesn't half help stop my family cluttering up ours!

You've just got to get your head around the idea that they've known nothing in life really other than other greyhounds - haven't been out and about in the world at all really (my previous grey was never very good walking along roads as the cars really spooked her; this one is having trouble getting her head around the idea of footballs being kicked anywhere she can see) and things like stairs, TVs, washing machine noise etc can be completely alien to them.

Having said that - it's only been a few days with my new dog and she's settling down beautifully and is a complete cuddle monster. They also tend to lean into you for a good cuddle as well (unless you get a more aloof one like my last grey was) - and they're bloody bonkers when you see this beautifully dignified creature with ears up and all wonky and they've forgotten to put their tongue back into their mouth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now