Talk

Advanced search

Travelling in Europe with DDog

(8 Posts)
MidLifeCrisis2017 Fri 31-Mar-17 12:55:32

I'm setting off in a camper van in May to travel round France, Italy and Greece. Looking for positive stories and suggestions of things I need to take/consider! So far I've covered:

Pet Passport
Insurance
Will get a cage so she's not wandering around or trying to lick my face while I'm driving on the wrong side of the road......
Food - she has NatureDiet at home. I don't know whether to just take a huge supply or move her on to something easier to buy abroad.

I know she'll need a worming certificate before we're allowed back in.

Any advice much appreciated!

QueenofLouisiana Fri 31-Mar-17 19:15:00

Is she chipped? Make sure all her paperwork is sorted.

Consider your return journey times so that you have fitted on a vet visit before hand. Vets in France all seem well set up for the checks coming home, so it's easy to sort out. However, they prefer some breeds to be muzzled for the appointments (certainly our family collies had to be) irrespective of temperament. Also some breeds are banned on France, but not here- check first!

If going South in Europe, look at heart and lung worm treatments, not just tick and normal worms. May be a recommended treatment.

We took our dog away several times a year. She loved it. We found Eurotunnel easier than the ferry as we wanted to be with her.

MidLifeCrisis2017 Fri 31-Mar-17 22:00:22

Thanks, yes, she's chipped.

Interesting about the muzzle and the extra treatments for Southern Europe. Seeing the vet on Monday for her rabies jab so I'll ask about those.

Costacoffeeplease Fri 31-Mar-17 22:06:16

Again, for Southern Europe, a scalibor collar or similar. You can get a vaccination against leish but it can have unpleasant side effects so I'd discuss it with your vet, and be very careful if she picks up any ticks

MidLifeCrisis2017 Sat 01-Apr-17 14:13:15

Thanks, I'd never hear of scalibor, I'll talk to vet.

BagelGoesWalking Sat 01-Apr-17 23:31:09

It may be worth contact rescues in Greece, Spain etc to see what precautions they take with their dogs. Your vet may not be so up with issues for dogs abroad (I don't know, just musing).

I can give you a few fb groups to contact of rescues in those countries, I follow loads!

MidLifeCrisis2017 Sun 02-Apr-17 03:07:13

Good idea, my niece has a Greek rescue so I'll ask her too

Costacoffeeplease Sun 02-Apr-17 06:29:07

I live in the Algarve and have two dogs, 15 cats and a very tame vet, so can probably help with any questions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now