Advanced search

Is it time to euthanize?

(14 Posts)
gigi556 Thu 30-Mar-17 22:15:46

I have an appointment at the vet tomorrow morning so hoping they will be able to help come to a decision, but I think it might be time to euthanize my dog...

I have a 14 year old Yorkshire Terrier and she's barely eaten anything since Saturday. She's really slowed down the last couple of years and was diagnosed with a calcium deficiency about a year ago following a seizure and hospitalization. She's made a pretty good recovery, but in the last year started suffering from frequent bouts of diarrhea and vomiting. Two months ago she lost a lot of weight and was having difficultly walking. I though the calcium deficiency was perhaps no longer under control, but we had blood work done that showed renal/kidney failure. I thought it was the end. I really didn't think she would make it, but we put her on a special diet and she turned around. She's been fine the last 7 weeks or so.

We went away and left her with friends last Tuesday. She'd had some diarrhea but was otherwise OK and seemed to be on the mend when we left her. Apparently, she was OK for a few days, but on Saturday she stopped eating and hasn't been herself since. We picked her up on Tuesday night. I hoped she turn around again at home, but she's in really bad shape. She's in bed all day. I have to pick her up and take her outside to wee and she's still not eating. She is getting up to drink water which is pretty much the only good sign... She doesn't perk up when I come home from work as she doesn't seem to want to leave the bed.

Anyway, I'm taking her to the vets tomorrow morning. On the phone, they mentioned possibly doing her bloods again and also that they may be able to give her a steroid shot to increase her appetite. I'm just wondering if at this point in her life, is it even worth trying to bring her round again when she'll likely relapse again soon?

I'm really upset and the idea of putting her down makes me really sad. I've had her since she was a puppy, but I'm starting to think it might be her time and I don't want her to suffer. She doesn't look like she's in pain, but I'm not sure you can tell and I imagine starvation is not the best way to go... She's literally skin and bones and if she was found on the street, you'd probably assume she was neglected. How long to do wait to see if they turn around?

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 30-Mar-17 22:24:45

They say better a week too early than a day too late. What quality of life does she have? I sympathise, we've all been there. See what the vet says. flowers

DramaAlpaca Thu 30-Mar-17 22:30:12

Honestly, if it was my dog I'd put to sleep. It's the last, kindest thing you can do for her and from what you say it sounds like she's had enough. I'm sorry, I know how hard it is.

I read on here once that it's better to PTS a week too soon than a day too late, and I think that's really good advice which I've gone by twice in the last couple of years, once with a dog aged almost 14 and most recently in January for my 15 year old cat.

I see you've had her since she was a puppy and you've really loved her and her you for the last 14 years, but it gets to the stage with animals when it really has to be about their welfare and what's best for them. It's the hardest part of pet ownership, deciding when to stop treatment and let them go.

I know it's a hard decision flowers

hahahaIdontgetit Thu 30-Mar-17 22:30:59

I'm so sorry you're going through this, take your cue from the vet, they'll have the best advice.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 30-Mar-17 22:33:37

You know your dog better than anyone. I would be inclined to have the bloodwork done as you should have the results quickly (we can turn them around in about 20 minutes ) and at it wont be harmful to her. It will give you a little more knowledge of what is going on and may help you be at peace with your decision.

If her kidneys are struggling then 48 hours on fluids can make a big difference and could buy her some more quality time. The decision is whether it will maintain as 2 days miserable in the vets for a week? We made the decision to let our dog go when it became clear he wouldn't manage without further intervention.

Tbh if your gut feeling is that it is time then chances are you are right.

ThreeFish Thu 30-Mar-17 22:40:37

Bless you, it's hard flowers
You know it's time.
You are doing the best thing you can for your best friend. Don't let her suffer unnecessarily.

gigi556 Fri 31-Mar-17 11:16:37

Thanks for all your replies. Sadly, the vet recommended we put her to sleep. He said her condition couldn't really be helped and she'd likely suffer even more and possibly start have seizures. She had a long happy life and I'm sad but glad she's not suffering. The process was actually quite peaceful and I feel we did the right thing.

BiteyShark Fri 31-Mar-17 11:27:18

So sorry to hear that gigi556 but I am glad it was peaceful flowers

DramaAlpaca Fri 31-Mar-17 11:40:44

gigi I'm so sorry for your loss flowers

You did the right thing for your lovely girl.

Vegansnake Fri 31-Mar-17 16:56:26

I had this with my dog...the vets refused to put him down.despite him being in kidney failure,they had him admitted on a drip and kept him for a week. ...I begged half way through,for the second time to pts.they refused.after a week of them doing his bloods ,I counted 24 holes in his legs,they gave up and let him be pts.£2000 ,cost and a week of him in a tiny cage TINY.cage,and me feeling helpless ,and frustrated and knowing it was time to let him his last week was spent in a vets,not at glad your dog didn't go through so so sorry for yr loss xxx

popcornpaws Fri 31-Mar-17 17:41:14

You did the right thing.
Years ago our lab was having problems, then his breathing became laboured and he couldn't walk, just lay down and refused to get up.
We took him to the vet who tried to tell us they could give him injections to see if it helped his arthritis, but we knew his time was up and no way was i going to let him suffer.
He was the most high spirited lab we have ever had, and his spark was gone.
I felt a lot of guilt over our decision to get him pts when the vet was saying he might be okay but i KNEW he was not okay, he was 14 and obviously as they get older they change a bit but he was tired and ready to go.
Our memories of him are he was a right bastard but we adored him!

QueenofLouisiana Fri 31-Mar-17 19:06:28

((Hug)) I know that it's frowned upon on MN but I don't care. We had our lovely girl pts a few weeks ago, I miss her desperately but I know it was right for her. You did it with love.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 31-Mar-17 20:18:59

Aww gigi, you did the kindest thing you could for her. (((hugs))) from me too. flowers

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 31-Mar-17 20:55:42

Hi Gigi, so sorry about your girl.
You didn't put her down, you set her free, you ended any suffering she may have endured, because you loved her.
Sounds like she had a wonderful life with you.💐
RIP little doggy 🎾

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: