Talk

Advanced search

can you change the dog's name?

(27 Posts)
1805 Thu 30-Mar-17 19:09:09

we're going to see a rescue dog tomorrow.
We really don't like the name much, and I was wondering if you can re train a dog (14 months old) to learn a new name? Or would it be too confusing? Obviously if we like the dog we'd learn to like the name too, but was just wondering if anyone has changed a dogs name?

CornflakeHomunculus Thu 30-Mar-17 19:14:23

I don't think there's any issue at all in changing a dog's name if you want to. Although they know their names dogs don't have the same sort of emotional attachment that to them that people do. It's just a word to them and once they've learned it then it makes no difference what it actually is.

All mine respond to a huge variety of daft nicknames which they've each earned over the duration of their lives, plus several words which refer to them all collectively grin

BiteyShark Thu 30-Mar-17 19:17:10

Mine responds to a variety of nick names I have for him so I would use both names interchangeably and then slowly drop the original name.

CMOTDibbler Thu 30-Mar-17 19:20:04

Yes, its not a problem

rumblingDMexploitingbstds Thu 30-Mar-17 19:21:37

I've heard rescue staff suggest name changes before now, as it can be a clean start without the baggage associated by the previous name.

isupposeitsverynice Thu 30-Mar-17 19:22:21

Yeah we call both of our dogs by proper names and nicknames and they respond to both, it's fine

purplecoathanger Thu 30-Mar-17 19:22:26

My poor dog thinks she's called dog, as that's what DH always calls her.

My brother has a rescue lab. He changed his name but the dog was only five months. He very quickly got used to the new name.

ContraryToPopularBelief Thu 30-Mar-17 19:26:30

I changed both my rescue dogs' names. The slightly older one we kept it sounding similar e.g. Sammy to Sully. With the younger dog we changed it completely. Neither dog really batted an eyelid.

It's also worth remembering that the same name can sound completely different in different accents so even by keeping a name it might sound differ to the dog anyway.

1805 Thu 30-Mar-17 21:47:27

Oh thats promising them. We'll check with the carers obviously, but hopefully a) we like the dog, b) the dog likes us and c) we can choose our own name for him.
Very excited.

bignamechangeroonie Thu 30-Mar-17 21:57:54

Our dog trainer showed us how to do
it inside an hour. You sit on the floor with a bag of food and say it's name and give it a treat/kibble. Watch tv/read a book, every couple of minutes dog name/treat.

Apparently it usually works within 10 minutes according to her grin

1805 Thu 30-Mar-17 22:10:08

ok.
so, best boy names for a border terrier please...

bignamechangeroonie Thu 30-Mar-17 22:41:31

I know 2, Rufus and Harry.

PUGaLUGS Thu 30-Mar-17 22:46:24

We changed our dogs name, she adapted very quickly.

*Seth

MiaowTheCat Fri 31-Mar-17 10:22:43

Ddog1 will answer to anything if there's a sausage on the end of it. We've established FartyFartPants, WashingMachine, Dishwasher, Spanner are all viable alternatives. TumbleDrier wasn't interestingly enough.

cRiNKlyCoCkapoo Fri 31-Mar-17 14:41:50

I read that the best dog names are two syllables long because it's easier to shout apparently. I like Angus for a border, or Eddie. Barney is my fave dog name of the minute but I don't think it suits a terrier.

floraeasy Fri 31-Mar-17 14:43:22

I think it might help to give her the new start.

She may have bad associations with her old name if she's in rescue?

If you are giving her love, cuddles and treats, and using her new name a lot, she'll have great associations with that.

TractorComesFirst Fri 31-Mar-17 14:52:36

Our BT responds to her name and several different nicknames so you should be fine.
If we were to have a dog Bt it would be Archie, Timmy, Whiskey. We have a BT bitch. Fantastic bread.

TractorComesFirst Fri 31-Mar-17 14:53:31

* or whiskey
*breed not bread!

AnUtterIdiot Fri 31-Mar-17 17:39:20

We did. He had no recall on his name so we changed it as we didn't like it. I wouldn't have if his recall had been better.

MaynJune Fri 31-Mar-17 19:11:01

I adopted a fifteen year old dog recently and changed his name as his previous one was horrible.
No problem! He knows I'm talking to him when he's fed and walked and petted.

MrsPnut Fri 31-Mar-17 19:13:40

We changed our last dogs name from Lady to Susie, they sounded similar enough that she had no problems and certainly not if there was food involved.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 31-Mar-17 20:58:44

Could you tell us his actual name, so we can find something similar ?

1805 Fri 31-Mar-17 22:34:11

awwww - we can't have him. Our daughter is too young for him and we also want to get a second dog at some point. v sad now. His actual name was/is Lenny. sad

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 01-Apr-17 10:39:26

Never mind OP, at least he is in a decent rescue. They will find him the appropriate home.
Happy dog hunting, you'll find your forever dog soon. 😄
P.S. Love Lenny (Lennox), my friends dog !

1805 Sat 01-Apr-17 12:14:59

yes, it is important to get a good match for these special doggies. Onwards and upwards with the search.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now