Talk

Advanced search

Toileting puppy

(10 Posts)
ladyface69 Wed 29-Mar-17 12:01:05

Hi all
We've been toilet training our Springer pup since we got her at 8 weeks on 31st Jan 17.
She's getting a lot better at holding it overnight, and I have always took her out last thing before I go to bed so she can go to the toilet. As in I wake her up, taker her outside, and then back in once she's been. I think this has worked well as more often than not in the last two weeks I've come downstairs in the morning to a dry floor.
She's not too good yet at telling us she needs to go, so I'm being proactive in regularly making her go out just in case - and she does go 80% of the time.
However last night DP told me he thought it was a bad idea to wake her up to go to the bathroom at night. He think's it isn't fair of me to wake her up when she's settled and that she can hold it (perhaps he thinks indefinitely?) until we get up in the morning. He says sometimes it unsettles her and takes her a long time to get back to sleep.

I just wanted to MN to help me prove him wrong, really! Do you wake your pup up before you go to bed, or do you leave them to sleep?

ThereIsNoSuchThingAsRoadTax Wed 29-Mar-17 12:15:56

She's a four month old puppy. She will have a small bladder and relatively poor bladder control still. I would keep doing what you are doing and ignore him.

BiteyShark Wed 29-Mar-17 12:19:14

I wake mine up at 10pm and then he gets up at 5am with me (mine is 6 months old). I have set an alarm and just increased the time as he got older. I personally don't want him to have to be forced to pee in his crate as mine will not cry he will just pee.

If you don't hear them then they will just pee and it isn't nice for your puppy or you having to mop it up. Some peoples puppies can hold it all night but mine could not so I have worked on the 1 hour for each month of age plus 1 for him. This also meant I didn't care if he gulped down water late at night as I knew he would have opportunities to pee.

If your DH wants to see if your puppy can hold it all night and you don't then let him be the one that cleans up the pee grin

Dollygirl27 Wed 29-Mar-17 12:24:37

Keep doing what you're doing. If she starts messing overnight because you've not worked her up to take her out before you go to bed it may confuse her and she'll be likely to have more accidents inside.

It seems mean to wake them but it's meaner to make them sleep in their own mess.

Dollygirl27 Wed 29-Mar-17 12:25:18

Woken not worked!

CMOTDibbler Wed 29-Mar-17 12:29:23

I wake up my adult dogs to go out and toilet before I go to bed, never mind puppies!

GeorgeTheHamster Wed 29-Mar-17 12:43:20

I thought it was the law that all dogs have to go out for a wee right before their people go up to bed?!? grin

Bubble2bubble Wed 29-Mar-17 12:56:19

All my dogs go out for a last wee at 10.30. On the odd occasion I have thought they look too tired or it's too wet outside one of them has invariably woken me at 3.00 sad . I always feel very mean waking a sleepy puppy to out, but unfortunately it has to be done.

ladyface69 Wed 29-Mar-17 23:04:15

Thought so! She has just gone out for her last wee, I did wake her up but it's better than washing her bedding three times a day.
Thanks all.

1nsanityscatching Thu 30-Mar-17 14:57:27

Eric goes for a last walk around the block at 11pm, often he's been snoozing much of the evening but gets up when we ask if he's going round the block. Occasionally, like last night, he doesn't want to go so stays in bed. He never messes though so don't tend to worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now