Talk

Advanced search

Rescue Dog. Which one??

(10 Posts)
Raracara Tue 28-Mar-17 19:32:36

We have a Parsons Russell Terrier, Piper, an Otterhound, Bo and a Patterdale Terrier Jackson. We've now decided to rescue a dog. We were looking into buying a Toy Poodle but have sort of gone off that idea after meeting a really nasty one.

In our local rescue, six dogs have been selected as right for us.
N1, a Shih Tzu
N2, a Belgian Sheepdog
N3, a Golden Retriever x Pointer
N4, a Miniature Bull Terrier
N5, a Cocker
N6, a Mastiff.

We have two children, 6 year olds.
Which dog would you choose from these?
Based purely on curiosity.

Shambolical1 Tue 28-Mar-17 20:21:47

Ages, sexes (and status: neutered or not) of all dogs?

What do you 'do' with the dogs? Do you take part in any dog-related activity, or is it just family walks?

When you say Belgian Sheepdog do you mean a Belgian Shepherd? Malinois/Lakenois/Terveuren?

You don't want anything too different in its exercise requirements if you're hoping to take them all out together. With two terriers and an otterhound - you don't see many of those about these days - I'd probably plump for either the mini bull or one of the gundogs/gundog mixes depending on the answers to the other questions.

Raracara Tue 28-Mar-17 20:41:19

We do family walks and an agility class every fortnight. By asking for ages do you mean my dogs or the dogs we want to rescue? For the rescues: D1 is a bitch, 5 & N, D2 is a dog, 9 & UN, D3 is a dog, 3 & N, D4 is a dog, 3 & UN, D5 is a bitch, 6 & N & D6 is a dog, 4 & N.
By Belgian Sheepdog,I mean Belgian Sheepdog not Belgian Shepherd.
My own dogs are all neutered. Bo is 5

Raracara Tue 28-Mar-17 20:42:34

Pressed post by accident. & a dog, Piper is 2 & a bitch & Jackson is 3 & a dog.

M

Blackfellpony Tue 28-Mar-17 20:44:59

Personally I would go for the Belgian sheepdog, a totally fantastic underrated breed in my opinion.

BeachysSnowyWellieBoots Tue 28-Mar-17 20:58:56

Dog 3..... I'm on my second pointer cross boy and they are lovely.....

My other dog is a cocker girl, but I can't see a cocker girl integrating with other dogs as well (obviously depends on the dog, but mine thinks she's rather superior grin)

Shambolical1 Tue 28-Mar-17 21:19:23

Are you in the UK? Not knowing 'Belgian Sheepdog' as a breed I looked it up and this seems to be a U.S. term for the Groenendael branch of the Belgian shepherd breeds over here. At 9 I would think you would need to take care of his joints with regard to agility and the like.

You may also need to look into possible changes to the dog family dynamics if un-neutered animals are brought into the mix of neutered dogs...

I' still be inclined to go for one of the gundogs but it's impossible to guess without meeting and knowing them. Often though a rescue dog will choose you rather than the other way around!

tabulahrasa Tue 28-Mar-17 22:27:11

I'd not jump at adding an unneutered dog to existing dogs, so I'd rule those out.

I don't think a shitzu or a mastiff would match your existing dogs energy levels...

So the retriever pointer cross.

Based just on that information though, might be a different decision with more information.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Wed 29-Mar-17 14:30:04

I'd go for the retriever/pointer mix.

Dementedswan Wed 29-Mar-17 14:33:49

I'd go for the retriever pointer cross. Both lovely breeds and child friendly in general. At 3 it should be past the boisterous puppy stage depending on training and it's past. Do you know why it's being rehomed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now