Talk

Advanced search

Do dogs miss people, could this cause issues?

(3 Posts)
Pippin8 Mon 27-Mar-17 22:11:07

We have 2 dogs, a male 2yrs old & female 17 months. DH does 70% of the dog care & walks. Although I am used to feeding them, walking them & training them.

They love each other, totally compliment each other & are great fun.

My problem is DH has gone away with work, he's been gone 4 days & it's all gone to rack & ruin. The 17 month old has reverted to her previous puppyhood bad behaviour, counter surfing, barking & scavenging. The rescue has been very clingy & they're both constantly competing for my attention. The rescue nipped me on the boob earlier, I'm not sure if it was an accident as he was grooming himself or if he did it for attention, he has never done this before.

The 17 month old is pacing & wont settle. She keeps crying, whining & instigating play fights with the 2 yr old. Their routine is out slightly, but they're still getting 2 good walks a day & im off work so around most of the day. I'm exhausted by it all & cant wait for DH to return.

DS says they are clearly missing DH & that's the issue.

Thoughts please.

TattyCat Tue 28-Mar-17 21:53:34

Absolutely they are missing him. There's not a lot you can do other than distract them and try to stick to their normal routine. If DH goes away for work often, they'll get used to it but if it's a rarity, you'll get this every time!!

TattyCat Tue 28-Mar-17 21:54:48

Try to find some activity for them both that is only 'you and them', so when DH isn't around, they associate it positively.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now