Talk

Advanced search

Homeopathy

(44 Posts)
PutTheBunnyBackInTheBox Mon 27-Mar-17 21:07:03

Hi. My vet suggested homeopathy for my nervous dog today but I can't find anything on the internet! I can't get it from boots or holland and barrett as it needs to be a higher dose or whatever you call it blush

Has anyone used any and knows a reliable website?

TheHouseOfIllRepute Mon 27-Mar-17 21:11:12

Does your vet believe in magic then?
There is no active ingredient in homeopathic remedies so magic is the only way it can work other than placebo which doesn't work on animals
Are you sure he didn't mean a herbal remedy?

Noitsnotteatimeyet Mon 27-Mar-17 21:13:29

Erm ... change your vet?? Homeopathy is complete woo and as the placebo effect isn't going to work on dogs (might on its owners) it's a waste of time

There are other proven treatments for anxiety which another vet might be able to help you with

PutTheBunnyBackInTheBox Mon 27-Mar-17 21:14:13

I also believe in God. Thanks for giving your opinion though rather than a helpful answer.

TheHouseOfIllRepute Mon 27-Mar-17 21:17:31

Your dog doesn't have a religion does it
Homeopathy on animals is cruel, it leaves them suffering

Reow Mon 27-Mar-17 21:20:17

I'd be changing my vet.

Whatslovegottodo Mon 27-Mar-17 21:25:45

Which vets is this?
Most vets I know prefer things with some evidence? I cannot imagine any vet saying to buy some random homeopathic product off the internet?

Perhaps they mean a non prescription / natural medication. Some Adaptil for the house could help calm your dog as it is natural pheromone. Also Lintbells have a product called Yucalm which is supposed to be effective. Others include Zylkene which is a milk protein derivative and helps the dog feel calm like when they nurse from their mum. Kalmaid sells well around fireworks time so that could be worth a go for general calming.

All would be better than homeopathy.

Whatslovegottodo Mon 27-Mar-17 21:27:56

www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/06/24/homeopathy-can-kill-pets-and-should-be-banned-say-vets/amp/

lazydog Mon 27-Mar-17 21:31:19

What's your religion got to do with anything? confused

Definitely change vets. Homeopathy doesn't work. It occasionally might work for humans if they expect it to, through the placebo effect. This can't happen in animals. You need to find a vet who will address your pet's anxiety problem with something other than water.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Mon 27-Mar-17 21:41:14

I'd love to find local vet who would treat my dog homoeopathically! If your vet recommended this treatment then they should be able to point you in a direction where you can buy it.

It is true that there is no evidence for homeopathic treatment of animals but lack of evidence does not mean it doesn't work it just means that the high quality research required for most drugs has not been done. That is because high quality research is needed for most drugs as, you know, drugs can also be dangerous. Homeopathy is not dangerous and I have used it to treat a lot of my animals and it works. Unfortunately anecdotal evidence will not satisfy its many detractors.

PutTheBunnyBackInTheBox Mon 27-Mar-17 23:48:51

Thanks wolf I didn't think to ask the vet as I assumed it would be easy to find. She wrote down the names and dosage and I asked her if it really worked. She said she'd seen good results with it. I'm training my dog and thought it would help alongside this. I'll keep looking!

Whatslovegottodo Tue 28-Mar-17 08:03:34

Confirmation bias is a real thing. It is seem both in vets and owners. It's like a placebo effect only the patient isn't getting any benefit at all.
Basically when someone wants something to be working, or feels it should work, then they will see an improvement.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Tue 28-Mar-17 08:28:37

Yes and confirmation bias is not confined to complimentary medicine. If I can observe real and measurable improvements in my dogs health using a medicine that is not causing any side effects I would rather that than see improvements from a evidenced based drug that carries a very real risk of side effects. Drugs have their place in medicine but is it not far better, in many cases, to let the immune system do its job.

Whatslovegottodo Tue 28-Mar-17 10:40:34

What medicine is it and what measurable effects have been observed?

Indeed, I am a big fan of complementary medicine - things like acupuncture, laser, PRP, many neutraceuticals/ supplements, pheromones - to name a few - brilliant.

But homeopathy is not complimentary medicine it is discredited after many reviews infact and with no good evidence for it at all after intensive investigations. It is unscientific nonsense and is often sold to the naïeve and vulnerable. Try it on yourself but don't subject your pet to it.

Here's what the NHS summarises on it and links to studies and reviews. www.nhs.uk/conditions/homeopathy/pages/introduction.aspx

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 28-Mar-17 10:43:46

I used the rescue remedy from H&B and they said they sell more of it for pets than humans. . Improved my crabby rottweiler and she doesn't believe in magic (she woofed to me)

SparklingRaspberry Tue 28-Mar-17 14:03:48

OP ignore the rude comments on here. And ignore the link which claims homeopathy kills your animals. It doesn't. A lot more dogs are killed using traditional drugs but people don't like to hear that...

Homeopathy doesn't mean you believe in magic, how ignorant. It means you believe that as much natural treatment is better than a shit load of drugs and chemicals that cause other problems.

We have a homeopathic vet in my area and she's very popular.

My friend has a dog who suffered with itchy skin. She tried every antibiotic and anti inflammatory going. Her traditional vet threw every drug and shampoo going but nothing worked. Until she used the homeopathic vet. It cleared up within a week, no side effects and she's never had a problem since!

Are you on fb?
Join the group 'canine health, dogs and vaccinations, what the vet doesn't tell you'.
it is highly recommended and the help on there is amazing!

If others don't agree with your way of thinking that's okay, just don't let them make you feel bad for it OP. It's quite funny really, they'll tell you you're crazy for believing in homeopathic treatment, yet majority of the time these people chuck antibiotics down their dogs throats then sit and wonder why the same illness comes back a few weeks/months later hmm

How many people have given their dog antibiotics for an ear infection? Yet found themselves back at the vets a few months later asking the vet why it keeps coming back...

I'm glad to see more and more people are choosing to treat their dogs (animals) as natural as possible smile

And for what it's worth, I treated my last dog with homeopathic remedies and if I ever need to, I will also choose that method for my puppy too. I could honestly count on one hand the amount of times she went to the vet!

TheHouseOfIllRepute Tue 28-Mar-17 14:37:04

What is rude about the truth hmm
And homeopathy uses substances such as arsenic so not gentle at all
Luckily it is so dilute there is none if the active ingredient left
So you are treating with water or a sugar pill

Ontopofthesunset Tue 28-Mar-17 14:45:07

But homeopathy is not 'natural treatment'. It is not treatment at all. It was made up by some German in the late 18th/early 19th century based on an erroneous observation he made. He then set up a complicated system of shaking and dilution that has no basis in any kind of historical thinking, folk remedies or fact at all.

I think some people think homeopathy is the same as herbal medicine or folk remedies. It's not like Ayurvedic medicine or Traditional Chinese Medicine which are century old systems where plants and holistic body treatments are used, some of which are more effective than others. It's just completely made up with no evidence at all. There are no active ingredients in it. It's the equivalent of Holy Water. I'm sure it only caught on at all because Hahnemann was good at promoting himself and two hundred years ago science was less far advanced and people were less inclined to question it.

alwaysthepessimist Tue 28-Mar-17 14:49:17

SOOO I disagree, homeopathy worked wonders on a dog I had with my ex, the dog had to have a very large operation when her was a puppy, the outcome of the op was that as soon as the weather started to go cooler the poor dog limped, we used to dose him up with metacam, anyway one of the vets was actually a homeopath for animals, we went to see him, he prescribed some stuff (which btw was a tiny amount of money) we would give the dog these tablets off a teaspoon everyday and the dog never, I mean NEVER limped another day, I did stop giving them to him one year thinking it was all stuff & nonsense, the dog started limping again....whatever it was it worked so personally I don't hesitate to try it again

Sabistick Tue 28-Mar-17 14:58:35

I bought herbal capsules to give my reactive dogfrom amazon, supposed to mimic dog mothers milk, Seriously didnt help. not sure about feliway. Suggest either a good dog behaviourist(lots of rubbish ones) or legit dog seditives(has to be a serious prob to deserve this action). Run from the vet if they suggest homeopathy for anything.

Sabistick Tue 28-Mar-17 15:00:17

Used zylkene capsules.

CaseyAtTheBat Tue 28-Mar-17 15:00:36

And homeopathy uses substances such as arsenic so not gentle at all

No it doesn't, there is nothing in the mixture at all.

OP, if you want to give your dog water and sugar pills that cost you a fortune, thats up to you. But not instead of actual medicine when needed, because that is just animal cruelty.
And your vet should know better.

TheHouseOfIllRepute Tue 28-Mar-17 15:02:58

If you actually read my post Casey you would have seen that i said the solution is so dilute that no active substance is left

TheHouseOfIllRepute Tue 28-Mar-17 15:05:03

They do start out with what is believed to be an active ingredient then dilute it so much as to remove the ingredient
They with a willow stick and complex shaking the memory of the active substance is triggered.
Complete bollocks of course
If water has a memory we are all in the shit - literally

sheepwitch Tue 28-Mar-17 15:05:22

Helios are excellent for homeopathic remedies:

www.helios.co.uk/shop/search/remedy/remedy-finder

What has your vet recommended for your dog?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now