Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed please

(18 Posts)
Ellapaella Mon 27-Mar-17 18:30:39

After a lot of thought and consideration we as a family have decided we would like to get a dog. I think we have a lot to offer - I only work two days a week and DH is very flexible with work so there is someone at home most of the time. We have a big house and nice sized fenced garden. Our three dc would be delighted to have a new addition to the family and we live on the coast within a few minutes walk from the house we have miles of beautiful beach for walking. We are a very active family and will be more than able/happy to provide plenty of exercise. I have never had a dog before and have spent sometime asking friends which would be the most suitable dog for a family with children (15, 6 and nearly 3 years). My youngest dc is very used to dogs as his childminder has a poochon and he has learned to be gentle around him.
I am aware I will need to go through the kennel club to find prospective breeders etc, but I have had lots of conflicting reports about which breeds may suit us best!
I would so appreciate any advice in regards to which breeds you think most suit a large family with children, living in a rural area in a house with a large garden. He or she will have plenty of company and not be left alone for long periods. I will be looking to do some puppy training classes as I admit I am a complete novice.
I would so appreciate any advice about good family dogs and anything else I should particularly consider etc.

CarlottosWay Mon 27-Mar-17 18:36:37

The Kennel Club website has a questionnaire, which can help you narrow down suitable breeds. Then research, research, research.
Where possible spend time with the breeds you are considering and contact relevant breed clubs for further advice.

Wolfiefan Mon 27-Mar-17 18:38:49

What size of dog?
How much exercise could you commit to?
How much grooming would you be prepared to do?
Puppy and a two year old would be bloody hard work!

Wolfiefan Mon 27-Mar-17 18:39:53

If you're not in a rush how about visiting Discover Dogs?

BiteyShark Mon 27-Mar-17 18:44:12

We narrowed it down to about three breeds that would be suitable for our household after going to the discover dogs section at crufts. I then spent months looking at pros and cons on the internet to understand what issues they each had and then eventually decided on one breed that ticked most of the boxes.

I would do some quizzes about which dogs might be suitable (there are a few if you google) and then start researching them.

Ellapaella Mon 27-Mar-17 18:47:09

Thanks all - A small to medium sized dog would be preferable, prepared to commit to regular grooming. Having had many discussions with friends who are dog owners English cocker spaniels keep coming up as good family dogs but then some have suggested they may be a bit too lively and excitable around small children so a bit conflicted!
Wolfie we aren't in a rush at all, would be happy to wait until the time is right - I guess having a puppy is like having another baby/toddler around? What is discover dogs?

BiteyShark Mon 27-Mar-17 18:49:54

At crufts discover dogs there are stands representing most breeds which have the dogs and their owners so you can meet the dogs and handle them and ask the owners about their experiences of owning that breed.

purplecoathanger Mon 27-Mar-17 18:49:59

I love dogs and have always had them. I wouldn't touch a Cocker Spaniel though because the ones I've encountered, yap. There's one that lives near us and it yaps and yaps. They really look after it, there's always someone around and it gets lots of walks but it still yaps. It would drive me up the wall.

heebiejeebie Mon 27-Mar-17 18:50:17

The only sort of dog that anyone should ever have is a retired greyhound. FACT

MyPuppyIsADick Mon 27-Mar-17 18:54:44

A staffy would be ideal for you, they are amazing family dogs. I have two and they absolutely adore kids (we have no DC of our own), they have limitless energy for walks but are quite happy to chill on the couch until they get taken out. Both of mine were very easy to train too as they're smart and so food oriented. They have a reputation for being bouncy but if you're getting a pup you can train it not to jump up by the time it's big enough that it could knock over your toddler and tbh I don't find them more hyper than any other breed, and less so than for example a cocker spaniel (which I was also going to recommend as they're great family dogs too).

BiteyShark Mon 27-Mar-17 18:55:19

We have a working cocker and it doesn't make much of a sound at all (so much that it won't even whine to be let out for a pee) but occasionally barks when someone comes to the door. Again like most breeds it will vary so whilst you can look at breed traits it won't necessarily follow that any dog will follow all of them. That's where something like discover dogs is good as you can talk to many different people and handle the dogs. You might even discover you like breeds you have never thought about before.

Ellapaella Mon 27-Mar-17 18:55:23

Purple yes that's what lots of people tell me, also that they can be very enthusiastic around visitors and jump up a lot - I would be fine with that but am thinking of mother in law who may never visit again (although maybe tat wouldn't be such a bad thing 😉).
Discover dogs sounds a great idea, definitely something I will do.
I have a friend who has a greyhound, and I agree, a truly lovely dog - so gentle!

Ellapaella Mon 27-Mar-17 18:56:32

Sorry everyone I am Cross posting with all of you - I really appreciate all your advice and opinions, thank you so much this is all really helpful.

picklemepopcorn Mon 27-Mar-17 18:59:45

Please think of a rescue. You can get to know them as an adult dog.

Wolfiefan Mon 27-Mar-17 19:03:52

Discover dogs is on in October I think.
My view is skewed but I had a pup who cried and wet herself if left for longer than a second. She also chewed the wall, the skirting, the dishwasher etc etc.
I also had to co sleep until she went through the night. And the teething. My goodness the teething! I had to have her on a longline around the kids. And youngest was 6!

Thewolfsjustapuppy Mon 27-Mar-17 19:06:57

I did the kennel club quiz and it came up with a rare native breed that are really hard to find. I then, by coincidence, met someone who had this breed and I fell totally and utterly in love.

We are finally a complete family with our Irish terrier pup but it took a lot of patience finding one! She could not be a more perfect match for our family so hats off to the kennel club, they really did get it spot on.

averylongtimeago Mon 27-Mar-17 19:10:14

My MiL had two golden cockers (from a show line). They looked lovely and were good companions for her, but they were two of the yappiest dogs I have ever met. They could not be trained to walk on a lead to be fair MiL didn't really try and were not particularly good with her great grandkids. Their coats were a nightmare to maintain, until we persuaded her to have them clipped all over. However, this did mean expensive trips to the dog groomers.
The working cockers I have met have been much calmer, but that may be because they work iyswim.

I have got two golden retriever s, which I think are great family dogs, but they do need company, exercise and lots of brushing as they shed all the time!

Retired greyhounds also make good pets.... and I have met some lovely staffies.

ilovepixie Mon 27-Mar-17 19:10:47

I have pixie a Lhasa apso. She's nearly 2 and the love of my life. She doesn't need a lot of exercise but still enjoys runs and walks on the beach. She also enjoys her naps and loves cuddles. She is a very affectionate dog and I wouldn't be without her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now