Talk

Advanced search

Chippydog has brought fleas in. Talk me through how to treat?

(6 Posts)
ChippyDucks Mon 27-Mar-17 08:28:38

I have indorex, liquid flea soap for him, will boil wash all bedding. What are the most effective products?

BiteyShark Mon 27-Mar-17 08:34:01

Can't advise on how to get rid of them once you have them as I use advocate spot on monthly to prevent them and now I have a tick collar which also happens to prevent/kill fleas as well.

Last time I had fleas in the house it was when we moved into a new house where the previous owner had owned cats and we had to get it fumigated as it was very bad. Hopefully yours is not that bad and someone can give you advice on how to get rid of the pesky things sad

SparklingRaspberry Mon 27-Mar-17 13:30:47

'Billy no mates'

It's a natural chemical free flea repellant. No nastiness in there.

I use this. I would never put any 'normal' flea treatment near my dog such as frontline, spot on etc.

ProfessionalPirate Mon 27-Mar-17 16:52:54

SparklingRaspberry's natural repellant suggestion may (or may not) help to prevent fleas, but will be useless in the face of an active infestation. Sparkling has never actually had a dog with fleas, so probably isn't in the best position recommend effective products.

OP for an active infestation I would use a spot on that kills all stages of the life cycle (you will need to collect this from your vet). OTC treatments will usually only kill the adults, leaving the eggs/larvae behind to cause further problems. I would then use your indorex on your home wherever your dog goes that you can't hot wash (soft furnishings, carpets etc) and vacuum thoroughly and repeatedly.

I would also ensure your dog is covered for tapeworm, as this is most commonly spread by fleas.

SparklingRaspberry Mon 27-Mar-17 17:30:16

It most certainly does repel fleas, Professional. There isn't a 'may not' about it.

Probably why none of my dogs have had fleas.

ProfessionalPirate Mon 27-Mar-17 20:18:53

There is no scientific data proving the efficacy, so 'may' is definitely the word sparkling.

The point of my previous post was that OP has an active infestation to deal with, for which 'billy no mates' will be no help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now