Talk

Advanced search

Ddog and diarrhoea

(6 Posts)
Boynamedsue Sun 26-Mar-17 15:47:55

This is going to be long, sorry!

2 weeks ago ddog started with some pretty nasty diarrhoea, he woke us at 1am crying to go out and liquid poos followed roughly every three hours. This was in the early hours of Tuesday morning, we put him on a restricted diet and whilst the frequency improved he was still very loose. I took him to the vet on the Thursday who could find nothing wrong with him but suggested he had probably picked up a bit of a bug. She gave us some diar stop paste and recommended we keep him on a diet of boiled chicken and rice. We did and by saturday he was much better.

This week we've slowly been getting him back to his normal diet and all has been well. Until the early hours of this morning when it all started all over again. He's been on the same food for weeks and the only difference being that we added some oats as his coat was getting a bit thin in places. Could oats really cause this?

He'll be back to the vet tomorrow but I'm really worried about him. He is absolutely fine in himself, not lethargic and his appetite is normal, hes also drinking plenty of water. He was wormed last month. I just can't work out what would be causing it.

QuestionableMouse Sun 26-Mar-17 15:49:35

If it started after the oats and cleared up on a bland diet I'd say they were likely to blame.

Boynamedsue Sun 26-Mar-17 21:19:32

Thanks mouse, he seems a little better already. I'm a bit precious first dog about him!

QuestionableMouse Sun 26-Mar-17 21:54:56

Aww i know that feeling. Hope he's 100% soon.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Mon 27-Mar-17 07:34:27

Dogs cannot digest grain and many are allergic to grain so yes giving your dog oats won't help. Rice won't help either as all it does is act as a filler. Is hos normal diet completely grain free? If not I would suggest finding a diet that is.

Boynamedsue Mon 27-Mar-17 08:23:18

Yes his normal diet is grain free. So the addition of oats was probably a shock to the system! It was on advice from the rescue as his coat was getting a bit thin but I think we'll stick to oily fish for that when he's recovered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now