Talk

Advanced search

Greyhound puppies - how bonkers are they?

(26 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Sat 25-Mar-17 18:45:59

Google brings up a lot of people shuddering in horror but of course they're a rare thing to see in public anyway.

So the question is in the title

tkband3 Sat 25-Mar-17 18:50:02

Don't know about Greyhound puppies, but I have a 7 month old whippet and he's pretty bonkers - gorgeous and lovely and cuddly and amazing, but bonkers nonetheless grin.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 25-Mar-17 18:57:45

Yeah, ours was crazy. She needed a LOT of exercise. Luckily I was working at home when we got her and could take her out three times a day. You need somewhere very open and very safe, at least a mile away from any road, to exercise them as they can get up a huge amount of speed from day one but can't think and run so they have tonnes of accidents. I can't tell you how much money we spent at the vets in the first two years. Mostly 'I'm running really fast so no I can't stop just because there is barbed wire' accidents. In the end I could tell you the location of all barbed wire in West Berkshire.

She was amazing though.. a wonderful dog and we adored her like she was our child. Such a character.

Jellyshoeshurtmyfeet Sat 25-Mar-17 18:58:49

My mum has one older greyhound and one puppy. The puppy is indeed bonkers but adorable!

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 25-Mar-17 19:21:05

grin

CMOTDibbler Sat 25-Mar-17 20:56:07

Pretty bonkers in comparison to their adult selves, but utterly gorgeous! I've now fostered two, and when talking to the lady who runs the rescue about one of them she said greyhound puppies were the maddest of all sighthounds. One I had was very chatty, wanted to play lots, really needed to go out a few times a day - but tbh still spent 16 hours a day asleep.

They are hilarious as they try to coordinate their legs to run at full speed - it doesn't really happen till after 6 months

bluetongue Sat 25-Mar-17 21:28:22

Oh Lowdoor that puppy is utterly gorgeous. <swoons>

MiaowTheCat Mon 27-Mar-17 16:22:57

Going to visit this one this week to see if we get along!

CMOTDibbler Mon 27-Mar-17 16:32:32

Yay, how exciting! You know you must take photos for us?

MiaowTheCat Tue 28-Mar-17 10:36:54

So if we go ahead and get pup - they're crate trained already... do I go for a crate suitable for their current size or their future size? I know you're aiming for a secure and snuggly vibe with it all.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Tue 28-Mar-17 16:51:19

I can't see how a full grown grey could use a crate. They won't 'tuck up' like ordinary dogs and sleep like starfish. They need a huge surface area to sleep comfortably. shock

chickensaresafehere Tue 28-Mar-17 17:01:32

Would you consider a rescue grey?
There's loads of them desperate for homes.

MiaowTheCat Tue 28-Mar-17 17:54:14

It IS a rescue grey thank you.

CMOTDibbler Tue 28-Mar-17 18:12:01

My lurchers have an XL crate, and are happy to share it.

How old is the pup? The 6 month old I just had didn't fit through the door of an L crate. You can get dividers for crates to make them smaller

Lowdoorinthewal1 Tue 28-Mar-17 18:14:49

chickens we rescued ours at 14 weeks. She was 'surplus to requirements' at a racing kennel. sad

Lowdoorinthewal1 Tue 28-Mar-17 18:18:41

BTW we did get a crate for our pup when she was a baby but there was NO WAY on God's earth she was ever going to use it at night. She cried all night, every night until we a) gave in and let her sleep with us and then b) gave in and adopted a dog-brother for her.

Is your pup a female? If so, you realise you are taking on a princess with divine rights not a dog??

MiaowTheCat Tue 28-Mar-17 18:39:06

I've had girl greys before so I know they can be stroppy little divas! Pup is 4/5 months I think - will know more and if it's a go-er when I meet them.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Tue 28-Mar-17 18:59:09

Ah, sorry I didn't realise you'd had greys before. You will know all about the 'I will only sleep on a human sofa in a roach position- otherwise I will eat ALL your books and your favourite glasses' problem! grin

Lowdoorinthewal1 Tue 28-Mar-17 21:08:53

This is were I deserve to sleep. grin

MiaowTheCat Wed 29-Mar-17 08:39:14

Our old grey (lost her to cancer a year and a bit ago) never really got into the roaching thing. She was a master at the lying flat out extending her tail poker straight and stretching her nose out to completely hog the sofa though.

RunningjustasfastasIcan99 Wed 29-Mar-17 13:31:42

get the larger crate but block off half of it so snuggly for now.

MiaowTheCat Wed 29-Mar-17 14:15:38

Puppy was a bit too manic for the kids so we didn't go ahead. We did find a lovely 5 year old black girlie though

MiaowTheCat Wed 29-Mar-17 18:49:21

So in the end when my eldest kid wasn't going to cope with the puppy - we fell for this girlie and she's home with us now.

Boynamedsue Wed 29-Mar-17 18:53:07

She's gorgeous. Enjoy grin

CMOTDibbler Wed 29-Mar-17 19:47:52

Aw, gorgeous girl!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now