Talk

Advanced search

Long lines

(6 Posts)
NoNamesLeft86 Sat 25-Mar-17 18:29:16

Please somebody tell me the secret to these without ending in a huge tangled mess! confusedblush

NoNamesLeft86 Sun 26-Mar-17 10:31:17

Bump

LilCamper Sun 26-Mar-17 10:47:46

Reel up any slack.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sun 26-Mar-17 10:49:23

I hate those.

All the years and dogs and I still can't get to grip with them.

QuestionableMouse Sun 26-Mar-17 10:53:09

I've found one with a bit of weight to it helps. Also take in any slack. How you have it looped too will help- sounds a bit daft but doing it right will help I promise. I start with the end in my hand and look it up so it sits flat. Its easy to drop or pick up a coil as needed then.

Medeci Sun 26-Mar-17 11:10:19

I never used the line for leading the dog, used to take it with me (dog on usual lead) till we got somewhere suitable for training then swapped over.
Best use in an open space so you can let line trail on the ground, ideally not too muddy. I always brought plastic gloves and plastic bag with me in case it trailed in poo, never happened but wanted to be prepared.
Tie a few knots in it so you can step on it easily.
As dog got better behaved I cut the line shorter, we got to a stage where his recall was perfect with 1ft of line dangling from his collar, without me having to touch it, but as soon as I removed it he'd bog off grin
Took about 6 months for recall to be completely reliable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: