We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Rolling in shit

(24 Posts)
ShootFruit Sat 25-Mar-17 02:20:07

8 year old spaniel, beautiful dog, great temperament. We live in the country, close to a town. Have always had dogs. Live very close to an equestrian business and horses are regularly walked by, so there is some poo left behind. Think really country and our house is a shortcut to the beach.

Our dog loves to roll in what the horses have left behind. We do have a gated area where she can't get out of. She is watched when she is out and about. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and what to do about it.

CornflakeHomunculus Sat 25-Mar-17 02:52:18

Other than teaching her a really strong leave or physically preventing her from doing it (by keeping her on lead when out) I don't think there's really much you can do. It goes with the territory when you have dogs really. Of course not all of them do it but it's pretty common behaviour.

Three out of my four will roll in all sorts. To be honest a nice bit of horse/cow/sheep poo is very much some of the least offensive stuff they roll in. Give me that any day over cat/fox poo or decomposing toad/hedgehog 🤢

Coming up with an easy way to give them a bath helps (we're having an outdoor mixer tap installed at some point for just these types of situations!!), as does using collars/harnesses that are really easy to wash.

JonesyAndTheSalad Sat 25-Mar-17 02:55:50

We live in Australia and have a dog who adores possum shit. It absolutely REEKS but he thinks it's the most beautiful scent!

We have to hose him down basically. There's no stopping him...

BradleyPooper Sat 25-Mar-17 03:02:05

We're in Texas .... raccoon shit smells from miles away!

JonesyAndTheSalad Sat 25-Mar-17 06:08:18

Bradley what's it like in Texas? Are you from there or are you an expat? I've always fancied a visit there!

floraeasy Sat 25-Mar-17 06:10:07

have a dog who adores possum shit

grin

GinAndOnIt Sat 25-Mar-17 06:13:39

At least she doesn't eat it... <eyes up Labrador 😒>

ShootFruit Sat 25-Mar-17 08:34:35

Thanks for the replies. We have an outdoor mixer tap. She gets a good clean from it. Glad to hear we're not alone and thank his she doesn't eat it!

1nsanityscatching Sat 25-Mar-17 17:28:41

Fox shit is Eric's cologne of choice or anything rotting, if he's of a mind pigeon and seagull shit will do the job as well. It drives me mad some weeks, he's most likely to do it in the week after he's been to the groomer or in the week before he is due to go to the groomer.

fannydaggerz Sat 25-Mar-17 17:36:40

All 4 of my dogs love nothing better than rolling in shit, any kind of shit at all and then eating it.

They also love fertiliser. 3 of them stop when I shout "up" to them and the other one is new and still learning so I'm sure she will pick t up soon.

fannydaggerz Sat 25-Mar-17 17:36:59

Pick it up soon.

twocockers Sat 25-Mar-17 17:38:39

I've just had an order of 4 bottles of fox poo shampoo delivered 🤣

ShootFruit Sat 25-Mar-17 19:35:39

Catching she had just had a haircut!

summerholsdreamin Sat 25-Mar-17 19:37:23

Fox shit - a culinary and rolling in treat for our Labrador hmm

CornflakeHomunculus Sat 25-Mar-17 19:39:01

Well not eating it is a positive, all mine who roll in shit will happily eat it as well hmm

Post poo-eating (even if it's of the relatively inoffensive herbivore variety) farts are noxious.

PlayOnWurtz Sat 25-Mar-17 20:02:53

My dog is the ultimate coprophile. She'll roll in it, eat it, play with it...if it's faecal matter she's all over it. It's absolutely disgusting. She's worst when she's had a wash so for a week after we keep her close!

CheeseAtFourpence Sat 25-Mar-17 20:12:27

My Lab never used to go near it....would walk metres around any shit he saw and refused to acknowledge that he'd done a poo himself. Then a couple of years ago he started to eat cat shit! And just this week rolled in what I think was fox poo...the stench!!! There was no reasoning with him - he refused to leave it.

Apocalyptichorsewoman Sat 25-Mar-17 20:41:00

Fox shit is treated like impulse deodorant to my Daisy - hey best to get it on all over!

She doesn't roll in horse shit but when we go across the horse field up to the stables, when she comes across horse shit, she kind of straddles it and wees on it? Dunno why cos she's always on the lead with horses nearby but they don't exactly bother her and she leaves well alone...

Toooldtobearsed Sat 25-Mar-17 20:48:35

Try having two labs.......

The list is endless. Horse poo, fox poo ( a definite favourite- Eau de fox shouod be bottled), dead segulls, dead anything. Bestest thing of all, decomposing seal. Now that is a wonderful thing to roll in if you are a lab. Even being verbally abused for a two hour journey home does not diminish the joy of dead seal. The bloody freezing hose pipe would, you would imagine? No. The fuckers just never learn.

Get used to it would be my advice. Dogs are bastards. Nuff said.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 25-Mar-17 22:29:26

My lab must be a bit of a wuss, he never rolls I anything. Or eats it.

lovelycats Sun 26-Mar-17 04:47:17

This seems positively pleasant compared to what my dogs would do. DDog 1 much prefers the smell of rotting flesh. Her last find was a decaying sheep carcass, which she swiftly rolled in. For her, shit is more of a snack than something to be rolled in. Except fox shit, that is the holy grail.

Renaissance2017 Sun 26-Mar-17 04:57:48

Both my dogs love all kinds of shit. You never truly get the full waft of what they've rolled in until you're back in the car and they have managed to smear it all over the back seat.....

BiteyShark Sun 26-Mar-17 06:25:16

Mine hasn't shown any signs of wanting to roll in shit but he does like to partake in a multi course banquet of poo when we are out and then tries to lick you with his pooey tongue afterward (boak)

floraeasy Sun 26-Mar-17 06:27:10

Dogs can be so foul at times. Just as well they're cute, I say!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now