Talk

Advanced search

Insurance - help please!

(7 Posts)
NoNamesLeft86 Thu 23-Mar-17 14:59:31

I have a rescue dog, fairly new to us. I wanted to insure him before taking him to the vet incase they find anything wrong with him. But the rescue say they dont know what breed he is as he was a street dog from abroad. We think he is possibly a mioritic sheppard (possibly crossed with something else but unsure). Loads of people we have met suggest he is a labradoodle. Have checked both these breeds and the price is massively different. Petplan say we must give the right breed and they phone the vets to check, and if it is incorrect then the insurance would be invalid. They advise us to take him to thr vet to get their opinion on it. But then if they find any issues with him those health problems wouldnt be covered?

airforsharon Thu 23-Mar-17 15:06:31

Could you just put him down as a mongrel? Maybe take him to the vets and ask their opinion, but there are 1000s of crossbreeds in the country, they can't insist on you specifying a breed if you really don't know.

aginghippy Thu 23-Mar-17 15:18:31

Don't the rescue have a vet they use? Could you take him to their vet? When I adopted a rescue dog, she had been checked by the rescue and given all her vaccinations before she came to us.

If the dog has a pre-existing condition, something that started before you bought the insurance, you wouldn't be covered for it anyway. It wouldn't matter when the condition was discovered.

LaGattaNera Thu 23-Mar-17 17:11:26

The companies I have insured with (not petplan) have a section for breed

1. breed - ie specific single breed
2. crossbreed - 2 specific breeds
3. mixed breed/mongrel

and they have accepted my answer and I have not had to refer to a vet

GreyHare Sun 26-Mar-17 19:25:10

I have my dogs registered on Co-op insurance as cross breeds, I did it online and and just selected from the dropdown menu.

NoNamesLeft86 Sun 26-Mar-17 20:00:45

So your saying I can just select mixed breed even if he might not be a mixed breed? It gives those 3 options but you also have to choose the breed unless its a mixed, more than 3 breeds. But if he isnt then surely that would invalidate the insurance?

GreyHare Mon 27-Mar-17 16:17:01

Yes you choose mixed breed because you don't know what he is is, if the rescue don't know then surely in the adoption paperwork they will have him down as a mixed breed, go with what the rescue has said, I have never been asked about what mix my dogs are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now