Talk

Advanced search

Dry food for a JRT, what protein etc should it have?

(5 Posts)
wanketyblank Mon 20-Mar-17 14:13:56

I generally buy Iams for my female JRT but she goes through phases of boredom and clearly isn't enjoying it. I sometimes top it up with a bag of Hi Life pellets and mix it in with the Iams but she's now started to pick the Hi Life out and leave the Iams.
I don't mind giving her a bit of variety and trying different foods but to be fair on the Iams she isn't smelly etc, ive noticed that with the Hi Life she's a bit stinky.
Can anyone recommend a good food for small active dogs? I'm reluctant to buy huge bags of food to find she doesn't like it, also, she can't tolerate fresh chicken too well (she gets bloody diarrohea).
Is supermarket food ok? Aldi sell huge bags but I don't want to buy anything that isn't nutritious.
Any recommendations please?

SparklingRaspberry Mon 20-Mar-17 15:58:31

I wouldn't let me dog touch any of that crap, sorry. That's what it is, crap.

Raw food all the way smile

LittlePear91 Mon 20-Mar-17 16:10:02

We've got a female JRT that we got from rescue when she was about a year old. When we got her she had various problems that had gone undiagnosed. Poor thing was suffering with stomach/kidney infections/UTI infections and anal gland infections that had obviously been there a long time. These took about 3 months to get rid of completely but since being on current food haven't caused her any problems.

She's mostly white, typical JRT markings, and can get quite itchy so we tried grain free. We used Sainsbury's own-brand grain free food and she loves it. The bag lasts us about 3 weeks and it's £6, so not expensive at all! She also stinks (breath and farts!) if she's had anything other than her dried food, so has a sensitive tum like your JRT.

Prior to this we've tried all different types of grain free (of varying expense!) and this is the one she tucks into as soon as it's put down in front of her, every time!

Thewolfsjustapuppy Mon 20-Mar-17 19:29:35

this website will help to give you an idea of the different quality dog foods, anything over 3 stars is worth considering and as you will see it's not all about price.

wanketyblank Mon 20-Mar-17 20:25:48

What a great website! I have just ordered 4 samples from Millie's Wolfheart. Hopefully she likes them - it looks great quality. Thanks so much for the link.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now