lump on dog's back

(7 Posts)
CharlottaBronte Mon 20-Mar-17 13:00:36

Just wondered if any vets around, or anyone who have had dogs with similar lumps. Large labrador cross dog, 3 years old, has a lump, about an 3 cm in diameter, on her back, on the left side. She doesn't like us touching it. I took her to the vet who told me just to keep an eye on it, and there was nothing they could do even if it was cancerous. Not particularly happy just to leave it, but is it worth getting a second opinion? It has been there for a couple of months now. Cost is a factor - we have insurance but it only seems to cover very basic stuff.

LaGattaNera Mon 20-Mar-17 15:36:58

Sorry no idea but just wanted to express my surprise & concern at your vet's reaction - I wouldn't be able to just accept this and leave it - such a worry and terribly unreasonable for both you a dog. You need to know - never heard of such a cavalier attitude from a vet!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 20-Mar-17 15:38:55

I took my lab to the vet with a lump recent, and the vet took a sample with a needle and examined it there and then. Just a fatty lump in my boys case, no cause for concern. I wouldn't be happy with that if I were you.

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Mon 20-Mar-17 15:43:31

My dogs have had various lumps over the years, and the vet has always done a fine needle aspiration on each occasion.

SparklingRaspberry Mon 20-Mar-17 15:55:46

I'd be equally concerned with your vets 'explanation' as I would be the lump shock

Any lump should be checked out!

I'm shocked they told you they couldn't even do anything even if it was cancer shock

Please please please take your dog to a different vets for a second opinion.

Blood tests should be taken. A swab should also be taken. And the next course of action should be decided once you get the results back.

It could be cancerous. It might not be. It may be a cyst, could just be a fatty lump. But you need it checked out.

And then you need to put in a complaint!

SparklingRaspberry Mon 20-Mar-17 15:56:16

And yes, a sample by needle should also be done!

CharlottaBronte Mon 20-Mar-17 18:41:35

yes it is a big chain vets and always has different vets there. Not hugely happy tbh and have rung back, waiting for a vet to call to discuss biopsy.

We don't have insurance it seems, I mean we do but doesn't cover very much. confused

Wish I had pressed for more action when I took her in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now