Talk

Advanced search

Help with puppy diarrhoea

(10 Posts)
dogdogday Sun 19-Mar-17 07:56:20

My 14 week old puppy has had diarrhoea since Thursday I don't know what is up with him because he seems totally fine in himself, still wants food (although has gone off his dry biscuits) and I've been feeding him boiled chicken, rice and egg to try and sort him out but nothing is helping. He is still playful and wanting to go for walks. When he poops there is loads of little white balls in it (is this the rice? Don't remember seeing this before he had rice) the weird thing is that he has had a couple of completely solid normal looking poops in between the diarrhoea and he's not going for a poop more often than usual. I'm going to phone the vet when they open but just wondering if anyone has any ideas? He's had diarrhoea before but it's usually gone away by itself sad

PeachyImpeachment Sun 19-Mar-17 08:01:10

It can be too much protein (was for us) - or he could have picked something up (also was for us).

I'm convinced our dog became allergic to the whole rice/chicken thing.

BiteyShark Sun 19-Mar-17 08:02:57

No idea about the white balls but could they be worms? Mine had several episodes of diarrhoea and although he was playing and eating and drinking when I took him to the vets he had a temperature. They gave him antibiotics injection, a worming paste, hydrating fluid drink and a probiotic to firm up his poo which seemed to work very quickly.

dogdogday Sun 19-Mar-17 08:12:30

His dry food says 28% protein I don't know if that's high. Also if I'm now feeding him eggs/chicken that is protein isn't it. It's possible he could have eaten something but he usually just picks stuff up and doesn't swallow it. I don't know if it's worms, wouldn't they move? I have wormed him but it was about a week later than it should have been as breeder advised don't vaccinate and worm at the same time so he was done at 8 weeks and 13 weeks. Waiting for the vets to open, hope they can fit us in they're only open 9-11 sad

Ylvamoon Sun 19-Mar-17 08:12:53

I'd starve him for 24h in case it's a bug .... afterwards I'd just continue giving him his normal dog food.

At that age, they pick up all kinds of things while out and about... some diarrhoea is possible.
But have to say "No" to change in diet, their tummies are still delicate and can get upset from sudden food change. And just chicken and rice is not nutritious enough for a growing puppy.

dogdogday Sun 19-Mar-17 08:14:59

I've only been feeding the rice etc whilst he's had the diarrhoea I haven't been feeding it as his main diet. I had starved him for 15 hours but made no difference and was worried about him not eating for too long with him being a pup.

BiteyShark Sun 19-Mar-17 08:26:40

The wormer we were given at the vets was for different stuff than his standard advocate treatment covered so just be aware that I don't think they cover all types of parasites.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Sun 19-Mar-17 08:59:41

28% is very high protein it should be less that 20% preferably less than 17%. Try not to chop and change between foods as this will upset the tummy too. I wouldn't starve a 14 week old puppy, maybe reduce his feed. The little white dots could be worm eggs or rice, either way you need to make sure pup is hydrated and should see a vet.
I use slippery elm with my pup and it works well to settle her tummy - after I have ruled out pathological reasons for the upset.

dogdogday Sun 19-Mar-17 10:49:29

https://www.essentialfoodsgb.co.uk/essential-the-beginning-large-breed.html this is the food, it seems like good food and was recommended by the breeder, do you think I should change it then? We've been the vets now she said he seems fine, doesn't think it's worms and said he's probably just eaten something dodgy! Given is Canakur paste and some Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal food for the next few days.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Sun 19-Mar-17 13:24:02

I'm not canine nutritional therapist. Your dog food gets 4.7/5 on the all about dog food site which is good, a lot better than royal canin which is rubbish! A canine behaviourist told me to keep the protein lower than 15% for my pup due to possible behaviour issues with too much protein. I feed raw and pup is very placid and easy and we have only had one episode of diarhoea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now