We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Butt scooting

(18 Posts)
PlayOnWurtz Fri 17-Mar-17 22:18:34

I've just seen my dog butt scoot across the living room floor (first time I've seen it!) Is this a trip to the vet next week for us? First time dog owner here so if anyone can think of a home remedy it'd be appreciated!

NoCapes Fri 17-Mar-17 22:21:52

Probably full anal glands, you can empty them yourself but - Eurgh! Only costs us £14 for the vet to do it and I say it's very very worth it to my have to stick my finger up her bum
Call the vets in the morning, only takes 5 mins

Someone22 Fri 17-Mar-17 22:21:54

The dog's anal gland is full and uncomfortable. The vet can empty it quite easily. In the meantime add a handful of All Bran to your dog's dinner. A firmer stool can assist anal gland emptying.

PlayOnWurtz Fri 17-Mar-17 22:28:40

Thank you. Just checked and the vet is open all day tomorrow so I'll pop her along.

TattyCat Sat 18-Mar-17 08:34:12

I give mine YuDigest and she's stopped having an issue so far with this. They were filling up quite quickly previously!

PlayOnWurtz Sat 18-Mar-17 16:43:47

Poor pooch what an undignified procedure the look of horror on her face was something else shockgrin

Got one cleared the other one is solid and impacted so back next week to see if she can shift it with a high fibre diet if not hell look at other options.

So....cheapest way of getting fibre into her please!!! All recommendations the vet gave were crazy money.

CornflakeHomunculus Sat 18-Mar-17 17:29:25

Protexin Pro-Fibre is great stuff.

DDog2 has anal gland issues and the Pro-Fibre has sorted her completely. One of those tubs lasts her (17kg mongrel) two months so it works out pretty cheap.

Someone22 Sat 18-Mar-17 17:45:53

I give my pooch supermarket own brand all bran.

ItsNachoCheese Sat 18-Mar-17 17:52:44

My ddog has his glads emptied at the vets fairly regularly and his scooting is 99% of the time caused by itchiness from his skin allergies. His bum, ears and paws are all affected

dudsville Sat 18-Mar-17 18:05:41

We've started giving ours sweet potato - full of fibre - stopped the scooting! We just boil one up now and then cut it into chunks and give one a day.

PlayOnWurtz Sat 18-Mar-17 18:07:28

Is that one chunk a day?

PlayOnWurtz Sat 18-Mar-17 18:08:10

Thanks for the ideas btw! I'm reluctant to go the grain route as she doesn't react well to feeds with high grain content so is on a working dog/high protein dry food.

puffylovett Sat 18-Mar-17 21:30:48

You could try a raw diet. Plenty of bone makes for harder poos, you can literally see my dog squirting out her glands when she poops (boak)

dudsville Sat 18-Mar-17 21:55:58

Yes sorry one chunk, it's about the size that would fI'll a tablespoon. We just keep the cooked chunks it a plastic container in the fridge and they get one a day as a"treat"!

dudsville Sat 18-Mar-17 21:57:04

We were also recommended people fibre cereal added to their food, but they didn't like it!

PlayOnWurtz Wed 22-Mar-17 15:46:01

Thought I'd update. We went the cereal route for her and poor dog has come out in nasty itchy skin so we are going to try butternut squash/sweet potato for her. Bless her she looks so uncomfortable sad

mando12345 Wed 22-Mar-17 15:49:04

Is your dogs worming up to date? Tape worm can cause scooting.

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 23-Mar-17 21:17:48

Beans or lentils? Might get a bit farty but loads of fibre!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now