Talk

Advanced search

What is it about fox poo?

(24 Posts)
Blinkybell Thu 16-Mar-17 11:22:47

Have been for a lovely long walk across the fields with my darling hmm dog.

Twice he rolled in fox poo. It's like it exerts some sort of mind control over him and he just can't help but throw himself on it.

He's managed to get it all over his collar - a fabric one with our details embroidered on as he kept losing his tags and it stinks

Mind you, it's not the worse thing he's rolled in - manure I'd just put on my garden, a rotting seal, dead seagull, something vile smelling but unidentifiable he found in the woods, etc

He's an utter minger, but what's the fascination?

Bubble2bubble Thu 16-Mar-17 11:32:18

I'd love to know. You're right though, the compulsion to roll in it is overwhelming and the joy it brings them....
For my dogs the only thing that trumps it is human poo. Dogs are disgusting grin

Dementedswan Thu 16-Mar-17 11:34:13

Got to be a labrador?

RTKangaMummy Thu 16-Mar-17 11:36:16

Btw after you have got rid of the germs use cheap TOMATO KETCHUP to get rid of smells from fox poo

Blinkybell Thu 16-Mar-17 11:42:12

He's a springer

I've tried the ketchup trick and he gave me the filthiest look grin

He does make me laugh when he finds it. Goes all squirmy then flings himself on it.

He is a dirty bastard

TattyCat Thu 16-Mar-17 11:57:46

My lab is just the same - she circles it before throwing herself on it. Mind, at least the circling gives me some warning although I can't always catch her!

I second the tomato ketchup or 'Fox Poo' shampoo to remove the stink!

CMOTDibbler Thu 16-Mar-17 11:58:32

Only one of mine does it, the disgusting oik. My other dog, and current foster puppy look on in horror at the mere thought!

Minger dog is also the one to hoover up elderly kebabs, and loves to eat chicken poo. He's probably whippet x doberman, so its not just a lab thing

blueskyinmarch Thu 16-Mar-17 11:59:51

My lab loves rolling in fox poo.I think she thinks she is making herself smell lovely for me. She then acts all hurt when i take her home and shower her and lather her in Fox Poo shampoo.

pigsDOfly Thu 16-Mar-17 13:23:43

My dog has never rolled in fox poo but this morning in the park she spied some poo, I assumed dog but could have been human, that had a sort of poking up bit on top and the disgusting creature put her mouth on it and took a small delicate bite.

Don't think she got much as I screamed 'leave it' in a panic, and amazingly she did. Thank god all the training does pay off.

What the hell, she's never done it before and she almost six years old, hope this is not some new phase she's going to go through. Horrible beast.

Blinkybell Thu 16-Mar-17 14:12:31

Revolting animals aren't they?

Mine hasn't eaten poo for years thank goodness.

When he was a puppy and DD was potty training he was a nightmare. Poor child would be sitting on her potty with me one side and the dog the other waiting for her to get up. If I wasn't quick enough he'd virtually inhale the contents.

He did it with the cat litter tray too once or twice until our elderly cat had words grin. She like to poo in peace

pigsDOfly Thu 16-Mar-17 14:38:26

Oh yes, the litter tray. I had two cats who were very old when dog was a puppy and are sadly, no longer with us. But that was a constant race to see who could get there first.

llangennith Thu 16-Mar-17 14:41:48

My tiny Cavalier is 5 and started doing this a year ago. Revolting! And it gets on her ears tooconfused

MissRainbowBrite Thu 16-Mar-17 14:48:16

Dogs are truly vile! On our afternoon walk today the stinky springer has managed to wallow in a mud bath, roll in fox poo numerous times, attempted to digest the innards of a dead rabbit (until I screamed drop at her) and crunched on the bones of a dead bird.
Then when we got home and I unravelled the hose pipe she just gave me a look as if to say "what, me? I don't need that!"

Floralnomad Thu 16-Mar-17 14:58:59

My patterdale X loves rolling in fox poo and dead animals , I find the only thing that gets rid of the smell is bathing him in tea tree oil and mint foaming wash , ketchup has no effect on him .

pigsDOfly Thu 16-Mar-17 15:10:54

All that effort to make herself smell right MissRainbow and you come along with your rotten hosepipe and spoil her fun. How could you?

Violetcharlotte Thu 16-Mar-17 15:16:28

It's the worse smell in the world isn't it? My Springer takes delight in rolling in it. Pets at Home do a fox poo shampoo which does get rid of the smell. I've found other shampoos just mask it! confused

nonameinspiration Thu 16-Mar-17 15:21:01

Arf at mi d control!!!

Ddog the idiot show cocker is in love with fox poo and he's found a hot spot on the rev field. He rams his shoulders in to it and covers his harness.

We have fox poo Shampoo - it does the job mostly

keeponkeeponkeepon Thu 16-Mar-17 15:21:47

Deer scent was the worst smell I found.
And it took three shampoos of a bath hating dog to get it out.
Boak

MissRainbowBrite Thu 16-Mar-17 15:52:54

Keepon I know what you mean about deer poo, we had to drive home with all the windows down after our darling springer (see above post!) had rolled in deer poo. It was eye watering!

MiddleClassProblem Thu 16-Mar-17 15:55:09

It's when they get it really deep in their fur when they roll.

One of mine will eat any poo if unattended but the other will only eat veggie poo like horse manure or cow pat. What's that about? Bloody labs!

kelper Thu 16-Mar-17 15:57:51

My whippet loves it too, however she hates being bathed so you'd think she'd connect the two, but no 🙄
Ketchup does work though, bizarrely

Blinkybell Thu 16-Mar-17 16:12:57

I've never found that ketchup helps. He just looks at me like 'what the actual fuck are you doing woman?'

My DD's riding instructor gave me some shampoo they use on their horses and it works a treat.

The more we bath him, the more he bloody does it though.

I think he hates being clean and just wants to look like a dirty tramp.

He's quite feathery so every summer we get him groomed and cut quite short otherwise he gets caught up in undergrowth and hurts himself. Last year, I picked him up from the groomers, brought him home where DH was cutting the grass. Fucker went straight outside and rolled in all the grass clippings. As the grass was still quite damp he ended up covered and managed to dye himself green in the process. I wouldn't mind but his haircuts cost more than mine!

Collaborate Sat 18-Mar-17 09:32:48

Don't bother with ketchup or expensive shampoo. Just get the cheapest malt vinegar you can find and make a weak solution (1/5) with water. After washing the craggy bits off with a car sponge (standard dog shampoo needed for this bit) I always use the vinegar solution with the sponge and that clears the smell.

Revolting creatures aren't they?

pigsDOfly Sat 18-Mar-17 13:12:57

Someone I got chatting to in the park told me he used vinegar for fox poo on his dog and had done for years.

Very possibly I'm wrong but I rather suspect it's the vinegar in the ketchup that makes it work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now