Talk

Advanced search

Omg springer has done his cruciate ligament and we can't afford to have it repaired

(54 Posts)
shitwithsugaron Tue 14-Mar-17 21:50:44

DDog (springer spaniel) is 8. In 2013 he had an op to fix his left hind leg cruciate ligament. This was covered by insurance (£44 a sodding month!!) and all has been well since.

We were told to watch out because the chances are his right hind leg will also go at some point.

Today we took him to the park and he suddenly began limping, couldn't put his paw to the floor, all the signs that it had happened again. Emergency vet all but confirmed it but booked him in for X-rays on Friday.

Upon looking at petplan insurance sorted by DH he isn't covered, it's classed as an exception to the insurance because his opposite leg had already been operated on and therefore more likely to need future treatment. We cannot afford 2.5k minimum for the op. We can just about afford the basic bills for the X-ray etc. And I'm so so worried.

PDSA, RSPCA etc you have to be in receipt of benefits (we're not), low income (we have crap paid jobs but no classed as low income) and no savings at all. We live day to day as it is. So...am I going to have to him put to sleep?

TweedAddict Tue 14-Mar-17 21:51:59

Set up a payment plan with your vets

bignamechangeroonie Tue 14-Mar-17 21:57:56

Surely the insurance means that the same leg isn't covered again?

If you let your vet know they're likely to say it's a different injury

Wolfiefan Tue 14-Mar-17 22:00:46

Payment plan?
Loan?
You've known for four years it's likely and could have been saving since. hmm
Is there a breed specific rescue or health group that helps owners in a crisis.

shitwithsugaron Tue 14-Mar-17 22:00:49

No unfortunately the insurance says 'excluding both hind legs'

CornflakeHomunculus Tue 14-Mar-17 22:01:04

Non-surgical management can be an option, generally only in small dogs or those where the risks of surgery outweigh the benefits but it's maybe something worth exploring with your vet.

As Tweed says, it's also worth approaching them and asking if they'd be prepared to do some kind of payment plan for you.

shitwithsugaron Tue 14-Mar-17 22:06:23

I wasn't aware vets did payment plans so that's useful to know, thank you. We do have quite a good relationship with them so I'll definitely be speaking to them about it.

I was also curious about any charities that may exist to help with this sort of thing. We can't be the first family that has been in the position.

And it's ok saying you had 4 years, save up. It's very easy to save when you have spare money to save. We don't have spare money.

Heratnumber7 Tue 14-Mar-17 22:14:26

You could have put the £44 per month (£45? Really?) into a savings account instead of paying into an insurance scheme that doesn't cover the condition that was most likely to affect your dog.

Teacupinastorm Tue 14-Mar-17 22:14:48

Similar scenario with my dog but a different injury. Insurance covered the first op (just, nearly £4000 in all). Then she did the other leg in a few years later. It's not covered by insurance either. However, she's an old girl now and we don't feel comfortable putting her through the operation again so it's managed through medication and she seems to be ok. Vet is happy anyway. We can't take her on the long walks we used to but she's never been a hugely active dog (she is super lazy) so it doesn't bother her too much. It may be a different situation for your dog though.
Like you said, even the X Rays etc for the second leg weren't covered by insurance and were very pricey. Vets let us pay in instalments.

EmmaC78 Tue 14-Mar-17 22:17:21

Are there any family members who could lend you the money?

shitwithsugaron Tue 14-Mar-17 22:18:07

Yes, it is £44.21 to be exact. Silly me. Who saves for an outcome that may/may not happen to their animal? He could have just as easily been hit by a bus than develop this new problem.

Thattimeofyearagain Tue 14-Mar-17 22:20:51

Blue cross?

bignamechangeroonie Tue 14-Mar-17 22:34:16

I'm quite sure it would be very hard to have saved twice since you're already paying £40 every month for the insurance even now. And something else could still go wrong so keep paying.

Hopefully the vet will find a different injury that is covered like they did with my cat when it had a mouth injury. They said it had a soft palette injury, and while he was under they removed the broken teeth that had been part of the injury - dental not covered.

Heratnumber7 Tue 14-Mar-17 22:41:22

Putting money into savings instead of pet insurance is what a lot of people do OP. Us included.

mainlywingingit Tue 14-Mar-17 22:43:26

How can you
Consider putting him down?!

You must have realised getting a dog could have expensive consequences.

Urgh

bignamechangeroonie Tue 14-Mar-17 22:50:35

I'm sure the OP did realise having a dog was expensive hmm

Which is why shes been paying £44 for insurance every month for 8 years !!!

Fgs, the OP's done the right thing! She can't control what petplan excludes.

I'm sure not many people are paying £44 for insurance and also saving thousands for things that aren't covered

If you can't afford you can't afford it.

mainlywingingit Tue 14-Mar-17 23:05:30

Quite . That's just stupid paying £44 for 8 years. That is over 4K when told the other leg could happen.

I don't pay per insurance. The whole thing is a joke. I have monthly savings aside for being able to pay for a biggie if needed.

Sorry but you can't have pets and not have a plan for something major!

tabulahrasa Tue 14-Mar-17 23:09:20

Is this new insurance taken out after the first cruciate repair?... Because that seems an odd thing to do knowing he had a pre-existing condition that was likely to happen in the other leg.

If it's not a new policy, and that is the insurance that paid for the first leg, and it's a lifetime policy (which I'm pretty sure it is at that price) then it's covered.

Floralnomad Tue 14-Mar-17 23:13:39

My dog has an exclusion on his lifetime policy because he had SLO diagnosed before we went on a lifetime plan so anything to do with nail injuries is excluded . I have a separate saving account for his nails which I keep at £1000 as that easily covers removal of a nail under anaesthetic ( we've had a few done) and at a push would be a lot towards the cost of a partial toe amputation ( had one of those) . I think it's very important to know the ins and outs of your policy and act accordingly . My mums elderly terrier had his cruciate treated by rest and medication and it healed very well ( he's not fit for anaesthetic) but he's a lot smaller than a springer . If you do go for the op on a payment plan it would be worth having the X-ray and then straight into the op rather than paying for 2 lots of anaesthetic .

Wolfiefan Tue 14-Mar-17 23:17:15

Silly you? But you were told it was likely and must have known it would be excluded from insurance yet you haven't saved at all?
Breed specific group could help.
Yes to payment plan with vets.
Stupid idea maybe but a vet school near you? Do they do such a thing as look for teaching cases? So students could observe? Maybe not but worth a punt?

happyvalleyvalley Tue 14-Mar-17 23:18:03

As co-owner and practice manager of a veterinary practice, my advice is speak to your vet. Tell them you can't afford the surgery and see what they suggest. You could try non surgical treatment and / or set up a payment plan.

Ignore everyone saying you should've been saving up for this. You couldn't afford it and you felt it was worth carrying on with the insurance which still covers everything else. So you've done nothing wrong.

Riderontheswarm Tue 14-Mar-17 23:19:44

Pets are not just for rich people. A lot of rescue dogs rely on people with normal to low incomes to give them homes. I think paying £44 a month insurance along with all the other costs of keeping and feeding a dog shows that the OP has been a financially responsible owner. She is just not an owner with an additional spare £2500. I can't believe some of the heartless responses.

I don't think it is particularly responsible for a family to get into a lot of debt for a dog if they have no way of paying it back and they have already spent a considerable amount on vet / insurance bills.

I think your vet would be the best person to ask for advice. They might know of a charity or of a cheaper way of testing your dog.

Riderontheswarm Tue 14-Mar-17 23:25:38

I meant treating not testing your dog.

changingnameforthispost Tue 14-Mar-17 23:27:48

I found myself in a similar position late last year with my JRT, not he same diagnosis but the same sized bill, and no insurance cover.
I put the cost onto a credit card and then was able to 'tart' it over to 0% interest deal for the next 18 months and am paying about £65 month.
My JRT now only has an accident only policy which cost £5 month

Floralnomad Tue 14-Mar-17 23:30:14

I don't think anyone has been heartless , just realistic , it was the OP who mentioned having him PTS , also rescue dogs are not reliant on 'normal and low' income families , having a rescue is a choice made by people of many different income brackets they're not a fall back because people can't afford a pedigree puppy ! Our dog came to us as an abandoned puppy from Battersea dogs home , we chose to get a dog from them nothing to do with money .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now