Talk

Advanced search

Limping - when to take to vets?

(6 Posts)
JustBeingJobless Tue 14-Mar-17 18:38:02

Ddog started randomly limping earlier. She wasn't doing anything mega energetic and I thought she'd stepped on a sharp stone or something as it seemed to wear off quickly, but then an hour or so later she's limping on it again. I've checked all over her pad and trimmed the fur back and there's nothing at all there, and she's not flinching at all when I touch the paw or leg (she's a complete wuss and will let me know if she's in pain!).

She has form for this - several past vets visits for limping where nothing obvious can be found and I come out £50 lighter and with metacam and instructions for lead walks only, only for it to disappear the next morning, so I'd rather avoid the vets if possible, plus metacam gives her the squits!

It doesn't seem to be troubling her when she's laying down; no licking or chewing the paw etc and no swelling or heat anywhere. I'm not convinced she's not a little arthritic as she's 9 in a few weeks, but still has the energy of a pup, and she was chasing round shortly before she started limping, so maybe just overdone it?

Would it be reasonable to wait and see for a while? I'm not about to go rushing her to the emergency vets but could probably get an appointment tomorrow if need be.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 14-Mar-17 21:29:48

Dislocated joint? My old boy did this. Once he'd done it once the vet said it would happen again more easily. Soon fixed, the vet popped his shoulder back into place but very painful at the time.

JustBeingJobless Tue 14-Mar-17 22:02:04

If it was dislocated though would she be weight bearing on it?

BarchesterFlowers Tue 14-Mar-17 22:07:01

Depending on severity of limping I would give it a day or two at home with minimal exercise to see if it improves which is no different to what I would do for myself or DC.

My old dog did the same a couple of weeks ago and was back to normal within 48 hours. I think she just twanged something dashing about.

Intervention isn't always required.

CornflakeHomunculus Tue 14-Mar-17 22:11:06

If she's weight bearing, happy in herself, eating/drinking/toileting ok and showing no other signs of pain beyond the limp then I'd rest her for 24 hours, reassess and book a vet appointment if there was no sign of any improvement.

JustBeingJobless Tue 14-Mar-17 22:29:06

Yeah she's absolutely fine, I'm having to stop her running round like a nutter so it's clearly not hurting, she's just dropping on it when she's walking but showing no signs of pain. I'll see what she's like on it in the morning and maybe keep her home resting tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now