Talk

Advanced search

Dog started pooing in the house :(

(32 Posts)
OhBlissOhJoy Tue 14-Mar-17 16:08:42

My dog is 12, he's a rescue and I have had him 3 years. He's occasionally pooed in the house, but I've put it down to his arthritis medication as I understand it is a common side effect. Not so long ago his pooing became more frequent and wet so I spoke to the vet and we agreed it was probably the Previcox and moved him on to Tremadol. Things got better, however he hasn't had any medication for a couple of weeks now.
Last week I got up and he had pooed and weed in the kitchen. Then for the last 3 days he's done the same, also a couple of times when I get home from work he's been. He has a dog walker who takes him out every day.
I've got a vets appointment tomorrow but speaking to them on the phone just now they think this could be behavioural rather than medical. Has anyone experienced this?

SparklingRaspberry Tue 14-Mar-17 16:13:44

Have you thought about getting a second opinion from another vet?

Most dogs won't poo/wee in the house for no reason.

Your dog is poorly (arthritis).
This doesn't sound behavioural to me. A 12 year old dog doesn't just wake up one day and decide to start poo'ing in its own home.

I hope it's okay soon flowers

Veterinari Tue 14-Mar-17 16:16:18

It's likely senile cognitive dysfunction (dementia)

Ask your vet for Selgian. Unless they have behavioural expertise they're unlikely to be experienced in treating it.

Bluebell9 Tue 14-Mar-17 16:20:00

My old dog started doing this when he was losing the use of his back legs. It wasn't all the time at first but soon became every day.
Does he have any difficulty with his hind legs?

OhBlissOhJoy Tue 14-Mar-17 16:21:34

Thank you Sparkling. I am very worried about him.
I spoke to the practice manager, he has an appointment with the actual vet tomorrow.
I've googled it and it's been suggested that the arthritis could be a factor but I can't quite figure out why.

OhBlissOhJoy Tue 14-Mar-17 16:31:42

I really hope it's not dementia sad
Yes, he does have difficulty with his hind legs because of the arthritis. I think I should just put him back on his meds and monitor him. Ironically I stopped giving Tramadol (he'd only been on them a short time) as I'd read one of the side effects was diarrhoea and I wanted to give his tummy a chance to settle after being on Previcox.

Bluebell9 Tue 14-Mar-17 16:33:42

Does he ever poo when hes getting up off the floor?

It got to the stage where DDog didn't know he was pooing sad

OhBlissOhJoy Tue 14-Mar-17 17:02:07

No, he's going in the kitchen Bluebell, so has to get up from wherever he is and walks into the kitchen.

LucieLucie Tue 14-Mar-17 17:05:38

Are you 100% certain he is actually being walked by the dog walker?

It's not unheard of for them to be collected and driven round in vans rather than being walked.

If you get to see daily photos and video of him out enjoying himself then that's fine but if not I'd want to rule this out before racking up vet bills.

ACloudCoosHi Tue 14-Mar-17 17:05:55

I had that with my nearly 15 year old border terrier. He pooed every night despite walking him twice a day (gently!).

He seems to have stopped doing it. We'd been away on holiday and had had a house sitter. I wonder if he was unsettled.

Any reason that yours may be unsettled?

OhBlissOhJoy Tue 14-Mar-17 17:25:54

He's definitely being walked - my dog walker is actually a friend and I do trust her (but I know what you mean!)

He quite probably is unsettled. Long story which I won't go into too much detail but we all he's had an unsettled 6 months following the break up of my marriage, moving house and not seeing STBXH. Plus, I've had to bring a behaviourist in as I am now in a flat and need help with him and my other dog.

purpleprincess24 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:29:02

We lost our dog at the age of 14, however for his final two years he had dementia.

But he was in a very happy place, acting like a puppy again, chasing birds when he hadn't done that from being a pup.

However the downside was that he started getting unreliable in the night and probably his last six months was making a mess most nights (elderly people of course are the same)

LucieLucie Tue 14-Mar-17 18:26:14

ohblissohjoy sorry to hear that.

Dogs are susceptible to stress just like humans.

Maybe the big change along with his elder years has resulted in the accidents in the house.

Hopefully the behaviourist and vet will get to the bottom of it.

I'm glad he is being walked by someone you trust.

Ps you can get Adaptil plug ins and collars which are meant to be good for anxious/ stressful dogs.

Veterinari Tue 14-Mar-17 21:17:52

Tramadol is only effective in 50-60% of dogs - it could also be arthritic pain

OhBlissOhJoy Wed 15-Mar-17 01:21:50

My poor dog sad
I posted this after waking up to poo in the kitchen this morning. My dog walker friend told me he'd been again by the time she came round early afternoon. I hadn't left any cleaning products out so she couldn't clean up but when I came home there was poo (soft) in the kitchen, on the lounge carpet (drips) plus on the sofa throws - he had shit all down his legs and round his bum.
He's had a bath and is now sulking but this says to me a medical issue not behavioural. My poor boy.

olliegarchy99 Wed 15-Mar-17 06:52:21

my 'lurch' who is 13 seems to be having the same problem. I have ensured his diet is not conducive to loose bowels but he still has accidents - in his bed and unexpectedly sometimes (just as we are about to go for a walk and almost at the door). It is as if he 'forgets' and just lets go whereas before he would always hold on.
He was checked by the vets and it is an 'old age' thing rather than any particularly medical problem. I resort to taking him out perhaps 5 or 6 times a day and standing with him until he thinks it might be a good idea to go now - easier at this time of the year if I am able to give him access to the outside easily.
It is wearing when this happens and they look so ashamed when they are caught short - I feel for you OP sad

ACloudCoosHi Wed 15-Mar-17 07:57:20

I'd get him to the vets for a check up. Brace yourself. You may be asked to pay silly money to be told that it's just old age - but it's worth doing for everyone's peace of mind.

ExitPursuedByUser54321 Wed 15-Mar-17 08:03:04

Poor pooch.

OhBlissOhJoy Wed 15-Mar-17 09:56:35

Vets this evening. Chicken and rice for dinner.
He's never messed himself before sad

SparklingRaspberry Wed 15-Mar-17 13:34:11

Good luck OP

OhBlissOhJoy Wed 15-Mar-17 21:55:10

Well, the good news is he doesn't think it's doggy dementia!
Process of elimination now - starting with a quick exam showing full anal glands which have been expressed. Probably the most revolting thing I have witnessed in my life <sick emoji>

ExitPursuedByUser54321 Wed 15-Mar-17 23:26:35

I'm sure the evacuation of his anal glands will make him feel much better.

Bizarrely my auto suggestion thingy came up with anal glands.

<worried>

Bluebell9 Thu 16-Mar-17 09:23:13

OhBliss you were brave, I've always looked the other way when they've done the anal glands!

Fingers crossed they get to the source of the problem soon

Veterinari Thu 16-Mar-17 09:36:12

Ollie it's absolutely Not a normal part of aging and there is medication that can help -read this www.ceva.co.uk/content/download/5345/90459/version/1/file/Selgian%20Vet%20Brochure.pdf

OP, glad your vet is investigating

This article has useful signs of what to look out for as your dog ages
m.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/c_dg_cognitive_dysfunction_syndrome

olliegarchy99 Thu 16-Mar-17 10:48:21

veterinari
that was a tad confrontational but will let that pass as you may have been trying to help. My vet was quite clear and no my dog does not have anxiety just old age. I was trying to help the OP.
He is happy (for 13 yo) and changing his diet has resulted in solid bowel movements which are easy to clear up and I do not feel it is necessary to give him drugs for psychosis he does not have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now