Talk

Advanced search

Long nails

(12 Posts)
KarmaNoMore Sun 12-Mar-17 21:55:40

I have a very active dog that is mostly exercised in soft ground (I live in a busy road with a nice park at one end of the street and a riverside walk on the other end).

She is a nervous dog, she gets scared if a car passes next to her, people walks too close to us, etc (rescue dog, no idea what happened in her life before she came to me)

So, lots of exercise on soft ground which means she gets long nails, she is terrified of having them cut (I take her to the groomer as often as I can, not an easy thing considering she hates being in the car andmanages to stress enough to the point of vomiting and getting diarrea ) but considering she has black nails, they can't take much of the nail out without risking touching the nerve.

I know that some people file their dogs' nails. I have got a dog file but to be honest, it is rubbish. Could you suggest one that can do the job? (And tell me how often shall I use it?)

TIA

CornflakeHomunculus Sun 12-Mar-17 22:09:42

If you're on FB I'd recommend joining the group 'Nail Maintenance for Dogs' and having a good read through the posts and files on there. They've got loads of great information about tools, techniques and desensitising dogs to having their nails done.

One technique that can be great for dogs who don't like having their feet handled is a scratch board. It's basically a bit of wood or something similarly sturdy with sandpaper securely attached. You train the dog to scrat it on command and it can be really effective for getting some length off whilst you're working towards proper trimming.

I use a Dremel and do my dogs' nails once a week. Sounds drastic but they actually much prefer it to traditional clippers. It took a little while to get them used to it but they're perfectly happy to have it done now.

Whitney168 Mon 13-Mar-17 17:28:45

Assuming the obvious, that you haven't tried to cut her nails at home yourself without stressing her by taking her to the groomers? If not, then please just try that when she is home and more relaxed, taking a tiny bit at a time. It's not a difficult thing to do, and websites will show you how to gauge it.

I use a Dremel for my dogs' nails. This sounds scarier than it is, and the reason I use it is because one of my dogs is scared of the clippers, but is fine with the Dremel - which way your dog would go, who knows.

If you have one, perhaps try having it on with her just in the room nearby, see if she reacts to the noise, then build up to getting it closer to her. If you think she might tolerate it, start by touching her feet with it switched off and reward her if she accepts it.

With nails that have got long, the best thing to do is little and often to take them back.

KarmaNoMore Mon 13-Mar-17 22:37:50

I have tried the scratch board it to be honest, it is as effective as walking the dog one step at the time sad

I have tried different clippers (and lots of distraction, treats, etc) but she doesn't like me handling her paws. My main concern about the clippers is that she can easily pull the paw away while the nail is trapped by the clipper and break or remove the nail.

Are Dremeks expensive? Where can I find one? If there are different brands which one may be best to start with?

KarmaNoMore Mon 13-Mar-17 22:48:56

Dremels not dremeks!

CornflakeHomunculus Mon 13-Mar-17 22:54:32

Have you had a look at the FB group? There's some information in the files about choosing a suitable rotary tool to use on nails, as well as desensitising them to having their feet handled and eventually the nails trimmed as well.

If you're not on FB there are lots of links on there to non-FB sites so I can share them on here for you instead.

KarmaNoMore Tue 14-Mar-17 00:15:51

Hi Cornflake, thanks I have requested to join the group so fingers crossed I can find a solution in it smile

KarmaNoMore Fri 17-Mar-17 13:19:50

Hi Cornflake, I requested to join the group on the day but my request is still pending.
Could I still take on the offer of sharing the links here?

Many (many) thanks.

ohdoadoodoo Fri 17-Mar-17 13:35:06

You can get electric dog nail files. How about one of those?

CMOTDibbler Fri 17-Mar-17 14:32:34

One of my dogs is the same - he had his dew claws partially removed by someone as a puppy, probably with a penknife - which may explain why he really, really doesn't like having his front paws touched. We touch them everyday, have tried a nail file, an electric file, clipping them with him looking the other way and all sorts. He's no better and still hates it. Its the only time he'll growl, and even will growl at ds who is allowed to do anything with him.
We're off to the vet this afternoon to get them clipped - the vet is swift and its all over quickly

CornflakeHomunculus Fri 17-Mar-17 17:48:37

Could I still take on the offer of sharing the links here?

No problem at all!!

These are some of the videos they have linked in the group's Files section which may be helpful:

Teach your dog to LOVE toenail trims

Basic Foot Handling, Clippers and File Part 1

Basic Foot Handling, Clippers and File Part 2

How to teach a dog to like nail trims

Having Trouble Trimming Your Dog's Nails?

KarmaNoMore Fri 17-Mar-17 20:59:21

Thank you Cornflake. It has certainly confirmed what I already knew. There are no magic formula, it will take a while to get her desensitised but now I know where to start.

Thank you flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now