Talk

Advanced search

Biting dog

(11 Posts)
whatisthisdog Sat 11-Mar-17 16:40:15

We adopted our dog on Wednesday from a local kennel. We have little info on her apart from her being 3 and a lurcher/terrier cross.

She settled in well with little drama. Yesterday she was in the garden and DD (6) ran out there. As DD ran in the dog grabbed her foot in its mouth and tugged at her shoe. DD has a small graze type mark to foot. No blood. We weren't sure if DD was over exaggerating as it looked more like the dogs claw had caught her iyswim.

Today I was in the garden to clear up poo. Dog lunged at me grabbing my ankle in her mouth and pulling me about. I got her off my ankle then she grabbed my hand with her mouth then my cardigan. This has happened twice today. Both times outside then she's been perfectly normal since.

I'm not sure what to do. Is it just nipping that she wasn't taught not to do as a pup? Or her prey drive coming out?

Do I need to rehome her? I'm worried it's biting but as she's not a huge dog I'm just diminishing it.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated. I feel awful about it.

Pic attached of said dog.

whatisthisdog Sat 11-Mar-17 17:58:52

She's now managed to draw blood on me. Not loads but I'm now panicking that if it had been one of the DCs it would have been a lot worse.

All the red marks on my hand are from her sad and the foot belongs to DD.

I phoned the kennels and said she's bitten me and my child. They told me they were shut and to phone back tomorrow.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 11-Mar-17 18:01:58

Have you got toys you can distract her with? I don't have experience of taking an older dog on but our pups were buggers for nipping. I would always have a toy handy to distract them so they would tug that instead of me!

whatisthisdog Sat 11-Mar-17 18:02:48

We are trying with toys but it's not working too well.

highinthesky Sat 11-Mar-17 18:04:18

I can't help with the dog.

Because is both cases the skin has been penetrated, I would recommend you seek medical advice. There is a risk of tetanus and other infections from your dog's saliva, although it's arguably "cleaner" than human saliva.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 11-Mar-17 18:09:12

Post on your other thread OP, posters might see it on their I'm on threads and might be able to help.

KoalaDownUnder Sat 11-Mar-17 18:12:54

I think she thinks that she is playing (but I don't claim to be an expert). Is she growling or snarling while she does this?

My dog sometimes nips at my arm as a way of inciting me to play with her, but there is clearly no aggression behind it, IYSWIM. What was her demeanour like around the time this happened? Was she playful or riled up?

Stay calm. Talk to the kennels tomorrow and see what they say, and/or if she's done it before. They should be able to recommend a behaviourist or trainer if needed.

BillyDaveysDaughter Sat 11-Mar-17 18:13:35

That looks like poorly controlled bite inhibition to me, and grabbing at ankles and wrists is generally play behaviour (unless the dog was very tense, cowering/crouching or growling before it lunged to bite).

What was happening in the lead up to it happeningoing, and what did not do immediately afterwards?. My dog really does bite, sadly (due to chronic pain and a generally poor temperament).

Bite inhibition is easily trained in a young dog. Try googling "mouthing/play biting in dogs". She probably doesn't mean to hurt you, she doesn't know how to soften her mouth yet.

But do get antibiotics if your skin is broken.

BillyDaveysDaughter Sat 11-Mar-17 18:14:30

*happening
*what did it do

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sat 11-Mar-17 18:19:32

I know she is biting but is she aggressive with it? My rotty went through this stage. . The word 'ow' in an authoritive tone - stand still and take control of the situation don't flaps and run away!! She may have been used to go hunting /poaching and is trained to chase. She hasn't grasped you aren't prey. Don't leave her unsupervised with your dc just yet. . I have been where you are but sending back is a drastic move imo.

NoNamesLeft86 Sun 12-Mar-17 22:15:52

We are having a very similar issue with our rescue dog too. I am 100% sure with mine that he is trying to play, and is getting too carried away. Today, i took my eyes off the kids for less than a minute (changing a nappy) and the dog had my youngest on the floor, with his sleeve in his mouth and had made several marks on him with his teeth and claws. Ive figgured out he only does this in the garden, so for now, the kids are not allowed in the garden unless the dog is secured else where. This way, we can train him while it's just me/DH and not risk the kids. He will occasionally try to bite indoors, but its manageable inside as hs stops when we tell him off. But outside he gets so carried away. We have booked into dog training classes which start next month and if this doesnt start improving fast then we will have the dog behaviourist out to the house. Im not sending mine back. He came here to join oir family and just needs to learn the boundaries. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now