Talk

Advanced search

Training to poo in a certain area

(7 Posts)
caffeinequick Thu 09-Mar-17 19:51:48

Hello! I have a 4year old cocker, two toddlers and a largish garden. I'd like to train my pooch to poo in a certain area to make it easy to keep the garden clean. Any tips on how to do it? Thanks!

Purplehonesty Thu 09-Mar-17 20:20:02

I read that you are supposed the mark the area so the dog can tell where it is - i.e. A circle of stones

Then you take the dog there on a lead when he needs to poop.
Reward him when he does it there.
Keep taking him and eventually he will get the idea.

You could try click and treat ? Clickers seems to work well for training I've found.

We are getting a pup this weekend (it's been a while since I had a puppy) and I am going to try exactly the same thing.
Was going to make a sand poop box from the kids old sand pit but then I thought he will track sand into the house all the time.
So have set aside a bit of rough grass at the end of the garden to try and use as his 'area'
Good luck!

caffeinequick Fri 10-Mar-17 06:41:49

Thanks @Purplehonesty! Marking the space out is a great idea. My main trouble is knowing when she wants to poo as she's out in the garden most of the day when it's dry. The morning one should at least be easy smile enjoy your new puppy!

Rubberduckies Fri 10-Mar-17 07:30:33

I did this with a puppy right from day one so easier, but basically yes I marked it out with some garden border edging and gave her a treat whenever she went there. You might have to spend lots of time in the garden with dog on lead, or limit times in the garden. The trick will be not to let him poo in any other place from now on so you will need to concentrate! Sounds weird but maybe write down the times you've noticed him poo, they tend to go similar times and then you know when to supervise!

Cocobananas Fri 10-Mar-17 07:50:15

Agree they usually go at regular times. My pup has a particular area she chose and I think it is because I always play ball etc with her outside in one area and occasionally play Sprinkles (google it) in another area which she checks daily just in case the magic fairy has been😄 Neither area ever gets fouled on. You could also try leaving her poo in the place you want her to go for the scent for a day or two to give her the idea but appreciate that might not be a good idea if toddlers around.

Cannothtinkofaname Fri 10-Mar-17 09:13:15

We've done this with our cockapoo. We call it her poo patch!
As others have said, it's all about patience and reward. She was getting a treat everytime she went in her area. I'm not sure she knew why at first but if there's a treat involved, she'll have it!
She's really good now and always goes in her area and our plan is to change it to artificial grass as the grass there is in an awful state.
Good luck and it can be done, and ours isn't the brightest of dogs!

caffeinequick Sun 12-Mar-17 12:49:10

Brilliant thank you all you've give me hope smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now