Talk

Advanced search

Dog show question

(5 Posts)
boybabies Thu 09-Mar-17 17:09:27

A friend has a 'failed' police dog puppy -German Shepherd. Beautiful dog, very well put together, conforms to breed standard and is very handsome.
She would like to have a go at showing him but seems to have hit on a problem - police won't release pedigree certificate until he's castrated (presumably to deter unscrupulous breeding) but dog needs to be entire to be shown.
Has anyone encountered similar problems and found a way around it?

Whitney168 Thu 09-Mar-17 17:13:57

Nope, I can't see there would be a way round it. She can in theory show him when castrated, but it would be a waste of time really.

Showing German Shepherds is a whole heap of confusion and trouble these days though, so perhaps no bad thing ...

CornflakeHomunculus Thu 09-Mar-17 17:52:47

I'm with Whitney on both points.

Whilst it is permitted for castrated dogs to be shown some judges can be very unpleasant about it, particularly in breeds with large entries. I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a first into to showing!!

boybabies Thu 09-Mar-17 18:01:47

Thanks to you both, she wanted to do it as a hobby really and he's a healthy straight backed specimen bred for working but I totally accept your points. Will pass it on.

Shambolical1 Mon 20-Mar-17 09:59:30

Neutered dogs can take part in dog sports, even KC listed events. Try obedience, agility, flyball? Results depend on ability and training rather than looks or who's on the other end of the lead. If showing floats the boat that much there are hundreds of 'fun' dog shows (many with classes for pedigree dogs) every year.

TBH with a truly straight-backed dog, wins at KC shows are still unlikely anyway. This year's Crufts BOB was better than last year's poor crippled dog but not by much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now