Talk

Advanced search

On a drip for 48 hours ,for kidneys..pls help

(53 Posts)
Vegansnake Wed 08-Mar-17 18:15:49

My dog is having his second night at the vets on a drip in a pen...they have done many bloods...kidney readings were off the scale ..now readable by the machine,but to high to be allowed home..he was scanned today.liver is huge and purity glands huge...pancreas,liver,kidneys,all having problems,vet doesn't know why,but won't let him home...help..

LaGattaNera Wed 08-Mar-17 18:38:01

so sorry to hear this - how old is your doggie?

in March last year, my 14 year old dog was in same situation and was on a drip for 3 days at the vets, his reading were high and I was advised he had kidney disease. After these 3 days he came home and was right as rain totally back to normal other than drinking more than normal. He had a great few months till January this year then suddenly went down hill - same symptoms as before, not eating, lethargic, sleeping all the time, not interested in life so took him back to vets. On a drip again for 2 days, seemed a bit better though not really back to normal and so he came home. Within a few days though he had become ill again and I had to rush him to the vets and we knew it was time to let him go. I had only had him 2 years as adopted him from a rescue as the oldies tend to get left. Am still not over it two months on.
Dogs can be put on a renal diet which tends to be lower protein though it is not appetising to most dogs so I made the decision to keep mine on nice food which he enjoyed.
It does sound as though your doggie has kidney disease (and maybe other complications). I hope he pulls through and that you have some more time with him. From my understanding though, it cannot be cured, merely managed. Sending you lots and lots of love and will hope for better days ahead xx

Vegansnake Wed 08-Mar-17 18:51:20

A million thankyou for answering..I'm so sorry you lost yr doggie..the bloods for the kidneys are to high to allow him home..they scanned him today and the kidneys look fine.what happens if I bring him home? I think the vets have nothing else to try

LaGattaNera Wed 08-Mar-17 18:59:33

How old is he? The vets will advise what to do - sometimes they give you medication for the kidneys. I would just try and give him the best life you can for as long as he has. My vet said that some dogs have a few episodes of having to be at the vets on a drip and therefore it may happen again with your dog. Preumably the vet will give you a diagnosis & prognosis? My dogs kidneys looked fine on the scan but they were only operating at 25% which was revealed by the amount of uric acid in the bloods and sooner or later the kidneys fail even more and then the uric acid level is too high for the dog to go on. My dog went downhill very quickly at the end - on the thursday he was a bit poorly by the Friday morning still wasn't great but literally deteriorated within 2 hours on the Friday and had to rush him to the vet as he was so poorly he couldn't stand and was staggering around - it was traumatic and very quick and we couldn't wait for his scheduled appointment later that day.

Shambolical1 Wed 08-Mar-17 19:04:16

So sorry to hear your dog's condition has worsened.

Are the vets still unable to find a cause for this apparent organ failure? No more blood results? No referring to other more specialist vets?

The problem is if you take him home now, he will lose what support he has and it may not be the best thing for him.

I hope he keeps fighting and gets better soon.

Vegansnake Wed 08-Mar-17 19:38:04

There is so much wrong with him...we've been told he has Cushing disease,he has chronic renal failure,enlarged liver,pancreas problems,his paw needs the toe removing ,up the the join half way up,and his foot is flat with no ligaments supporting it,so he trips when he walks....my instincts are telling me to put him to sleep.but the vet keeps on saying try this,try that..so 2 nights now in a pen on a drip. Countless times taking blood.then sedated today for a scan.they have done enough ,and they don't know why his kidneys arnt working...I said today I didn't want him messed with and they said he needed this scan...we are close to £2000 pounds now in fees.l have pet insurance..but that's not the point..I want to let him go..but they arnt hearing me

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Wed 08-Mar-17 19:43:12

If they're prepared to go on treating him they obviously think he's got a chance. Give it another day and see how he is.

Floralnomad Wed 08-Mar-17 19:43:51

I would put the toe to the back of your mind , it's really no big deal having a toe off . I would ask for a referral to a specialist for the organ failure , at least then you'd know exactly what you are dealing with , it seems a shame to PTS without getting to the bottom of it whilst he is still fighting .

Vegansnake Wed 08-Mar-17 19:50:10

They have said there is lot wrong with him on his blood results,but they don't know why..they said he is very very ill..he's 10 ..I will see what tomorrow brings.i had hoped the scan you show up a problem..one of his brothers has died and another has cancer...

Vegansnake Wed 08-Mar-17 19:52:44

It all started 2 weeks ago with an injury to a paw and he had an operation a week and a half a go..it's been all downhill since.

LaGattaNera Wed 08-Mar-17 19:56:15

so sorry xx
mine also had Cushing disease and the usual medication is Vetoril but it can't be used for dog's who have kidney disease so do speak to vet about this if they propose to give him Vetoril. My vet wasn't aware of this - I found it out on google and asked him to check it and I was right.
Will keep everything crossed.

Vegansnake Wed 08-Mar-17 19:56:15

Shambloic,I suggested the alamba rot as I think you suggested to me..they said they think it is possible..so they suggested a specialist place a way a way..I gave it a lot of thought and said no I didn't want that.as 9 out of ten dogs die with the Alabama rot..anyway lucky I said no.as it turned out to not be that..but we are still no nearer

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 08-Mar-17 19:56:25

Sorry to hear this.

Why won't they hear you if you want to let him go?

Vegansnake Wed 08-Mar-17 19:57:47

Thanks Nera,I'm reading up on everything,pancreas problems leave dogs in pain as well so that's bothering me too.

Vegansnake Wed 08-Mar-17 20:00:44

Smythe,maybe I wasn't forceful enough,I'm hoping for a Miracle,but I feel they just want to try things...but he's my dog and away from home ,and they have said there is all these things wrong.kidneys,liver pancreas,and they don't know why,despite having him 2 days doing scans and tests ,taking blood...I just want him left alone now

Vegansnake Wed 08-Mar-17 20:06:10

I swing wildly from thinking it's time to let him go,to thinking the vets know best,let them try...I love him so much,I can't bear to think of him in pain away from home..the vets are all lovely,really nice people..I'm giving him every chance,and I'm prying his bloods are normal tomorrow when I phone

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 08-Mar-17 20:07:54

To be honest, I probably would too, but one always hopes the vets know better. They must listen to you though. Ultimately it's your decision.

Poor doggie.

He's on a lot of painkillers, so won't be in pain now, so at least that is a consolation.

Good luck!

Vegansnake Wed 08-Mar-17 20:11:59

Thankyou x

Shambolical1 Wed 08-Mar-17 20:18:46

I do feel for you and your dog. Perhaps the vets are hoping (as do we all) that he will rally and begin to recover. At least Alabama Rot has been discounted; maybe they are looking for sepsis or a similar reason for his organs to fail.

I think we dog-owners know in our hearts when the time has come to make the decision to stop; perhaps another night on his meds tonight and tomorrow's blood results will make things clearer.

Such a sad, horrible time for you all.

Violetcharlotte Wed 08-Mar-17 20:19:48

Hi Vegan really, really sorry to hear this. I had a similar thing with my dog last year, so i understand what you're going through, it's devastating. We found out our dog had Addisons disorder after all the tests. Vets do seem to be able to work miracles these days, so I'll keep everything crossed for you x

Vegansnake Wed 08-Mar-17 20:26:07

Thankyou both of you...I'm never having a dog again..this is just awful.he can't tell me he's in pain.i can't tell him I'm here ,and I want him home..he must feel like I've abandoned him...and he's getting poked and prodded at...when I'm at home I'm thinking it's time to let him go...but when I visit him at the vets I feel we must do everything possible ,and I agree to what the vets suggest..I'm so confused,and reading up on the internet about all his problems,and I'm just waiting for someone to say to me,well it's just a dog...😡

Vegansnake Wed 08-Mar-17 20:31:13

I will look up addisons disorder.thankyou..I appreciate everyone taking the time to read this and reply.im very greatful x

Violetcharlotte Wed 08-Mar-17 20:49:49

My advice would be to try and stop googling if you can. I drove myself crazy doing that. Listen to the vets, they're the experts x

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 08-Mar-17 20:56:01

See how your dog is doing tomorrow, see the good test results and decide then.

The vets did give me false hope once and I bitterly regret listening to them.

Listen to the vet, but also listen to what your dog is trying to tell you and listen to yourself.

Vegansnake Wed 08-Mar-17 20:57:40

Thanks violet,yr right..I'm going to try to get an early night,as I've not slept since he went...I will post on here when I know any more x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now