We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Natural flea treatments

(7 Posts)
No1HolidayPlanner Wed 08-Mar-17 13:58:52

Can anyone suggest effective natural flea treatments? I am very reluctant to use advocate, bravecto etc due to the chemicals in them.. I have read up on Billy no Mates and apple cider vinegar added to water or sprayed onto coat.. Has anyone used these, or anything else, and never had fleas/ticks.. Thankssmile

carefreeeee Thu 09-Mar-17 18:49:45

Does your pet actually have fleas?

If not, you can always leave untreated and only treat if they actually get them.

If fleas are present I think you may need to use a chemical product asap to avoid an infestation in the house.

No1HolidayPlanner Thu 09-Mar-17 19:16:01

No sorry.. My original post is unclear.. She doesn't have fleas.. I was just looking for advice from those who use non chemical preventative methodssmile.. Thanks.

Bluebell9 Fri 10-Mar-17 11:06:52

I used apple cider vinegar with my old dog. I sprayed him with a diluted solution before going on walks to repel ticks etc and if he did get any fleas on him, I'd brush him and spray him and this seemed to work.

RosalynneSnelling Fri 10-Mar-17 14:09:53

I've read before that adding two tablespoons of ACV in my dog's water can help repel fleas. I've been doing it since with Braggs ACV. I think it's effective since I haven't had to worry about fleas ever since I started doing it. No unusual reactions from my pet as well.

Medeci Fri 10-Mar-17 14:21:43

Agree with PP, no need to treat your dog unless it gets fleas.
I've got 2 large hairy dogs, when I got the first dog I used a preventative treatment, can't remember what brand but it was the kind you drop onto the skin. He started drooling, then vomiting and ended up having a bad reaction and needing vet treatment.
Since then (4 years ago) I haven't used anything, just check regularly with a flea comb. They've never had fleas.
Perhaps it helps that we've got hard flooring and vacuum at least once a day because they both shed hair ++.

SparklingRaspberry Fri 10-Mar-17 15:53:43

Yay it's great to see someone else doesn't use anything full of chemicals! I never use anything full of nasty stuff either.

I also add ACV to the water.

google Brewers Yeast for fleas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now