Talk

Advanced search

Kennel club registered breeders

(13 Posts)
piginboots Wed 08-Mar-17 03:16:53

A reminder that being "KC registered" is no guarantee that a breeder is humane or ethical (warning - graphic content)

link

BiteyShark Wed 08-Mar-17 09:12:35

I though they had to be kennel club assured breeders that were checked for health and welfare.

Are you sure she wasn't just registered with them which anyone can register their pedigree dogs or advertise on their puppy pages rather than an assurred breeder?

piginboots Wed 08-Mar-17 10:31:11

She may well just have been registered but I see on here all the time people citing the fact that a breeder is "kennel club registered" as some sort off guarantee that they're not dodgy when in reality it really isn't.

Bubble2bubble Wed 08-Mar-17 10:58:20

Agree, most people don't know the difference in KC registered, KC Assured and Licenced Breeder.
None are guarantees for the welfare of the dogs sad

tabulahrasa Wed 08-Mar-17 11:05:46

"I see on here all the time people citing the fact that a breeder is "kennel club registered" as some sort off guarantee that they're not dodgy when in reality it really isn't."

That's not generally what people say though - it's that not registering an eligible breed is definitely dodgy.

Having the litter registered doesn't mean they're a decent breeder, you've just weeded out one thing.

PossumInAPearTree Wed 08-Mar-17 11:12:29

Worst dog I ever had was a KC registered dog from a breeder who fequently wins best of breed at crufts. She's since been taken to court by two other buyers who successfully gained compensation from her and she was found guilty of exceedingly dodgy practices and lying....she's still a KC registered breeder. God knows what you have to do to be struck off!

Bubble2bubble Wed 08-Mar-17 11:18:51

tbh tabula I think that is way over most people's heads. I meet new puppy owners all the time who proudly tell me their puppy farmed pup is KC registered, as well as others who tell me they got the pup cheaper because it wasn't registered. Not being registered can be seen as just a cheaper alternative, not as something necessarily dodgy. The level of naivety out there is staggering.

tabulahrasa Wed 08-Mar-17 11:35:29

"The level of naivety out there is staggering"

In fairness I meant on here...out there (waves randomly at outside) is completely different, lol

CornflakeHomunculus Wed 08-Mar-17 12:51:24

The KC is a registry of dogs, it's not the breeder themselves who is registered. If a litter is eligible to be registered then the KC will take the money register them regardless of who has bred them or the conditions they were bred in.

Membership of the Assured Breeder Scheme isn't worth the paper it's written on. Yes, it requires (very minimal) health testing be done in certain breeds but there are no rules regarding the results of those tests. Site visits are supposed to be done on all members of the scheme but the KC are still way behind and there are loads they haven't got to yet. They don't even uphold one the most basic rule of the scheme: "Make health of breeding stock and puppies produced a particular priority...". There's an assured breeder of Great Danes who uses their harlequin stud dog on harlequin/merle bitches meaning every resulting puppy has a 25% chance of being at very high risk of deafnes and/or blindness. The KC are well aware of the situation, promised appropriate action would be taken and have done precisely fuck all.

All that said, I do agree that although puppies being KC registered is very far from a guarantee of health/welfare any decent breeder who can be registering puppies will be doing so. As time goes on though I think KC registration will become less and less relevant as breed enthusiasts are forced to organise their own unsanctioned outcross projects to save their breeds.

Bubble2bubble Wed 08-Mar-17 15:15:37

"Out there" * tabula* lol

...shudders...True, I should know better than to talk to anyone * out there* grin

Ylvamoon Wed 08-Mar-17 15:52:10

All you get with KC registered breeders is your dogs pedigree (usually 3-5 generations) & the assurance that your dogs parents aren't too closely related (siblings or cousins).

Everything else is down to your own preferences - professional, hobby, show enthusiasts, one off, fantastic pet,... you name it, they are all out there and offer fully legit puppies.

The KC Assured was meant to be reserved for top class people with health testing, dog welfare and good puppy advice at the centre of it. Sadly, this is not the case, as mentioned above, anyone can be part of it & nobody has to apply to the rules! (Speaking from own experience.)

toboldlygo Wed 08-Mar-17 17:06:48

It's not even a guarantee of that Ylvamoon - the only matings they reject outright are:

Father and Daughter
Mother and Son
Brother and Sister

Half brother and sister matings are fine, and with repeated close breeding it would be entirely possible to register a dog with a COI of over 25%, the genetic equivalent of a father/daughter mating.

tabulahrasa Thu 09-Mar-17 19:50:38

Well in fairness though, you can see that in the pedigree, so as long a short you look at it, you'd know

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now