Talk

Advanced search

Noisy dog

(7 Posts)
Stopthatdog Tue 07-Mar-17 22:38:35

We moved house last autumn. When we moved in we discovered that the nextdoor neighbours have two dogs. The dogs must have been out the two times we viewed the house as we didn't hear them. The day we moved in they barked incessantly. Since then I've discovered that when the people are out and also at night the dogs are kept in a locked kennel towards the end of the garden. The gardens are narrow and very long but we only need to step a couple of metres or so into our garden and one of the two dogs starts barking and doesn't stop until about ten minutes after we go inside. Sometimes other neighbours disturb the dog and we hear barking from inside for ages.

The people seem to be aware of it to some extent and I know they've tried to find work that limits the amount of time the dogs are alone. However from about 8am-3pm most weekdays the dogs are alone. The weather's getting nicer and I've been looking forward to spending time in our garden but today after enduring an hour of barking my three year old and I had to retreat inside as it was just too much. AIBU to find the noise from the barking dog excessive? And what can we do about it?

I've NC for this just in case the neighbours are on here.

Darlink Tue 07-Mar-17 22:46:05

Yanbu.
In the first instance speak to the neighbours.
I effing hate barking dogs and their inconsiderate owners.

Weebleswobbles Tue 07-Mar-17 22:46:33

Phone your local council. First log a message (and get a ref number) for the dog warden. Then ask to be put through to environmental health and log a report and tell them you've also logged it with the dog warden.

Then keep a daily video diary

Weebleswobbles Tue 07-Mar-17 22:49:26

Posted too soon - you'll be helping the dogs too - poor things it's not their fault.

Also you can post in the dog house here on MN - lots of experienced dog owners who may be able to advise

Stopthatdog Tue 07-Mar-17 23:26:28

Thanks, this is helpful. I guess I'm just not sure how much we should just tolerate it. Or what is normal for a dog.

Weebleswobbles Wed 08-Mar-17 12:26:34

Bumping for you OP

Ylvamoon Wed 08-Mar-17 15:57:13

Our council classifies 20 min of constant barking as excessive. You have a case, but it will take time to get resolved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now