Talk

Advanced search

I also need advice re castration

(3 Posts)
NatFrenchie Tue 07-Mar-17 12:00:33

I have to decide whether I should have my schnoodle castrated. He is just over 2 years old. I had him temporarily done, i.e. chemically castrated at around 6 months as he was peeing inside at a friend's house (she has other dogs). She told me that having him done would stop that but I was wary of committing to a full castration at such a young age. That wore off about 9 months ago.

I'm always slightly nervous when we go into any building now where other dogs have been like a pub, cafe, restaurant, shops etc as I worry that he'll cock his leg indoors! He doesn't exhibit any sexual behaviour as far as I can see but cannot resist running off to see other dogs whenever we're out and he's off lead. (I know that's also down to training!) He will stay with me on command but curiosity inevitably gets the better of him. He's a very socialable dog but not at all aggressive.

Is castration the right thing to do? The pros and cons seem equally divided and I know that if I just looked at it in terms of avoid unwanted pregnancy I should do it anyway. Our neighbours have got an unspayed cockerpoo so that could be problematic (although not so far). They got her around a year ago. I am going to speak to the vet later too but just wanted some general advice beforehand.

Thank you.

SparklingRaspberry Tue 07-Mar-17 14:25:56

Getting him castrated will not stop him running off to other dogs. He's doing that because they're interesting and he wants to introduce himself.

It's totally up to you. Would I castrate my dog because of the reasons you've got? No I wouldn't.

It would probably stop him spraying and leaving his mark, yes. But it certainly wouldn't stop him from running off to say hello to other dogs

NatFrenchie Tue 07-Mar-17 21:16:33

Yes I agree with you. I don't think the marking is enough of an issue & having him done seems an extreme measure. I did speak with the vet earlier who suggested chemical castration as a possible alternative but I think I'm going to leave it actually.

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now