Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a collar

(12 Posts)
SchnitzelVonCrumb Mon 06-Mar-17 20:59:04

Background:

9 working sheep dogs (collies and huntaways)

1 pet dog

All of them are very well behaved we compete and put A LOT of effort into training.

Anyhow! One of our working dogs is constantly slipping his collar unless it is on so tight that we can't slip a finger under. this is obviously not a good idea even though it's not choking him it's surely not uncomfortable for him. He doesn't run away or anything naughty but we often have bitches on heat etc

What type of collar can you reccomend? It has to be a collar and not a harness as he needs to be able to be clipped to the fence during musters he isn't taking part in.

Thanks!

Lowdoorinthewal1 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:00:54

Could you use a greyhound slip collar? These tighten as they move forward. They are designed not to fall off a sighthound where their head is skinnier than their neck.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Mon 06-Mar-17 21:02:50

Martingale I think is the correct name.

SchnitzelVonCrumb Tue 07-Mar-17 00:37:12

Ohh I forgot about those! I will go have a look - I used help rehab greyhounds I should know about them!

SchnitzelVonCrumb Tue 07-Mar-17 02:45:21

Just looked them up - dogs can't be left unsupervised with them on.

I need something that can be left on for 24 hours a day, and be unsupervised with.

He currently has a standard leather collar and chain

Lowdoorinthewal1 Tue 07-Mar-17 06:46:37

No, mine don't wear them anytime other than when they are on the lead.

Sorry I can't help.

BiteyShark Tue 07-Mar-17 08:24:09

I use a keepsafe breakaway collar which is designed to break if it gets caught on anything. You just have to put a lead through two loops instead of one to stop it breaking apart when he is pulling on the lead.

tabulahrasa Tue 07-Mar-17 09:19:26

Why can't you clip a harness to a fence?

SchnitzelVonCrumb Tue 07-Mar-17 09:28:18

tabulahrassa it's not just the fence it's the back of the truck etc and it would mean having to carry around extra chain. Our leather collars have a short chain with two clips on each end so that we have never to use a leash.

I also worry about the harness getting caught when he is going through/scrub bush - does anyone have experience with this?

SchnitzelVonCrumb Tue 07-Mar-17 09:30:42

biteyshark we don't use a lead / they are fully trained off leash and never go into town so no need.

Does this collar never slip?

I just don't know how he does it he has a thick neck huge bloody head and the collar if given any slack (and it's still tighter than a normal dog) is off!

tabulahrasa Tue 07-Mar-17 09:33:56

Oh, yeah you'd need a lead.

They're no more likely to get caught than a collar though tbh.

BiteyShark Tue 07-Mar-17 11:18:23

Umm it's just like an ordinary collar so maybe it would slip although that has never happened to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now