Genuine puppy proof toys

(19 Posts)
NewPuppyMum Thu 02-Mar-17 19:02:26

My seven month old had three new toys today and she's wrecked them all to the point of needing repairing in one case and binning in the other two. She needs toys but can't have a new thing each day! Any retriever proof stuff?

She has a small kong but isn't interested unless it has treats in it.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 02-Mar-17 19:03:42

The absolutely only toy that my husky hasn't destroyed are Nerf ones from pets at home!! Worth every penny.

NewPuppyMum Thu 02-Mar-17 19:05:22

We have a pets at home. I'll look thank you.

Florin Thu 02-Mar-17 19:08:30

The only toy I have found to be puppy proof is this lobster kong toy still going strong in perfect condition 9 months later no other toy has survived! www.amazon.co.uk/KONG-RBF1-Belly-Flops-Lobster/dp/B01FJPXEQM?tag=mumsnetforum-21

BiteyShark Thu 02-Mar-17 19:14:12

It's strange because my dog destroys some toys but others that I know are easier to destroy he treats gently. I figure he just likes some toys more than others and thus does not try to eat them. I like the look of the lobster and its just been ordered smile

NewPuppyMum Thu 02-Mar-17 19:31:25

This is today's toy. I didn't realise it was for soft chewers

Is the lobster heavy chomper proof? I couldn't see a comment on the details of it.

Unicorn81 Thu 02-Mar-17 19:39:15

I have a staffy and these last a while with him, loves to chew on them. www.viovet.co.uk/Chuckit_Max_Glow_Ball/c20458/?quick_find=150946&gclid=Cj0KEQiAot_FBRCqt8jVsoDKoZABEiQAqFL76FO7XNZ9Igp-2e3BpxmuxKmUiUSG-VBWU6BPqgRiq9oaApXx8P8HAQ

FortunaMajor Thu 02-Mar-17 19:41:17

We got a boomer ball and it's still going strong 7 years later. They are designed for zoo animals, so I figured if they were good enough for lions and tigers and bears OH MY! then it was worth the money - about £16-20 for the big one. She loves it and will play with it for hours. I have a GSD, so a natural herder. My BIL broke his foot trying to kick it. Definitely an outside only toy.

The other ones that have lasted are the Huck made by WestPaw and the Cuz toys by JW (not the rubber chicken, lasted 5 seconds). She broke the squeeker part in them after several months, but they work as a ball ok. The CyberDog treat ball has also lasted, we never used it with treats after she was a puppy and she just likes it as a ball now. She sits flexing it in her mouth for ages. She's on her second at age 11.

She has jaws of steel and I have lost count of the toys and the cost of things that were destroyed in minutes, but all of the above have been around for a good few years.

Anything stuffed animal like gets destroyed, apart from really little ones, she's gentle with those. Tennis balls last seconds and inflatable balls get shredded in minutes.

NewPuppyMum Thu 02-Mar-17 20:25:41

Thank you everyone. Lots to look at.

Nifflerbowtruckle Thu 02-Mar-17 20:33:57

Tuffy toys are pretty good unless they sit and constantly chew at them for hours. They are designed for rough and tumble.

NewPuppyMum Thu 02-Mar-17 20:40:15

She likes a chew but not for hours.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Thu 02-Mar-17 20:45:11

Just bought our year old pooch a buffalo horn. She stayed up all night the first night just chewing. She could barely stay awake the next day! Well worth the money.

Is your pup teething?

Nifflerbowtruckle Thu 02-Mar-17 21:15:33

Tuffy's Ultimate Bowmerang Paws Dog Toy, Red https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NVDEXQ/ref=cmsww_rcpp_api_FSiUybTZGH7BD

Tuffy are pretty good my dogs had a couple. We also got her dogwood it's a stick that smells like real wood but is safe to chew and chew. You can get different sizes. She loves it.

NewPuppyMum Fri 03-Mar-17 07:11:54

She has all her teeth but they ar bedding in as she's seven months.

I haven't bought her the toys that look like big twigs/small branches as she likes to eat real twigs and I thought it would encourage more of that.

She hasn't wrecked her soft toy that was her first..

NewPuppyMum Fri 03-Mar-17 07:28:05

This is her

The green animal lasted about five minutes. I hadn't realised it was for light chewers. The muddy paws picture is just gratuitous cuteness.

Cannothtinkofaname Tue 07-Mar-17 09:21:46

Ha ha, I love her muddy feet!
We're still seaching for an indestructable toy. It's so annoying to pay out quite a bit of money for a toy that's then destroyed in minutes. We did get a refund from a couple of shops but it's still annoying.
We have a cockapoo and I'd love her to have a toy box like other dogs we know but all she has is chews, nylon bones and antlers!

NewPuppyMum Wed 08-Mar-17 15:10:20

So far the bone is as new and the boomer ball is covered in scratches. Just sewn up three toys again. Two are waiting to be repaired again and one has gone in the bin..

sotiredbutworthit Mon 13-Mar-17 22:17:35

Mine disembowle any soft toy they are given! And beds! And towels! You can see a theme developing! The chuckit balls are good. Have had one for about 2 months now and still intact. Xx

CornflakeHomunculus Mon 13-Mar-17 22:40:59

Goughnuts might be worth a try. They're incredibly solid and they also have a lifetime guarantee, if your dog manages to chew through to the red core they'll replace the toy for the cost of postage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now