Talk

Advanced search

How do you have a dog and work?

(13 Posts)
Mrstumbletap Wed 01-Mar-17 18:38:47

I love dogs, grew up with dogs and miss having one.

I work 4 days a week, so is there any way it is possible? DH has a midweek day off too so the dog would only be on its own 3 days. I know that's awful but if I got a dog walker would that not be so bad? That took it for a 2 hour walk so it was on its own from 9-11 and then 1-5?

What about an old dog from a rescue home? I don't mind if it's really old I could care for it and maybe it would just want to chill out and sleep on those 3 days?

sotiredbutworthit Wed 01-Mar-17 18:39:33

Doggy day care?

GeorgeTheHamster Wed 01-Mar-17 18:41:16

I think that sounds fine. Better for an older dog than for a puppy.

MurielsBottom Wed 01-Mar-17 18:47:55

I think lots of people use dog walkers if they work full days. I know some rescues don't rehome to people with full time jobs but many do.

I think it depends on the personality of the dog too. Some dogs are more happy to be left for a few hours. others aren't.

BiteyShark Wed 01-Mar-17 18:54:40

Older dog no problem, a puppy would need time to build up to those hours. Saying that my puppy at 3 months old was left for three hours until he was picked up to go to doggy day care on the days I worked but I made sure he had been used to being left alone from the day I got him.

daisygirlmac Wed 01-Mar-17 18:57:12

We've got an old boy who's a rescue and we both work full time, he has a dog walker come in at lunchtime for an hours walk and he's happy with this. He just sleeps the rest of the time in between a small potter around the house now and then. Be careful what breed you get as if it's a really high energy one I don't think that would work so well. I think an older dog would be delighted to be taken out of a rescue to a loving home smile

Whisky2014 Wed 01-Mar-17 19:00:49

We made our garden fully enclosed and put a dog flap in the back door so she can just go in and out all day.

Mrstumbletap Wed 01-Mar-17 21:26:23

That's what I thought, when my dog was old he would happily sleep and potter around, then sleep again. I would happily rescue a 10 year old dog and care for them for their last years then get another one.

YellowLambBanana Wed 01-Mar-17 21:46:25

I've two small breeds both 6 years old and work full time. Haven't had them from puppies but when was looking at buying dogs first thing I asked about was whether they were used to be left, had any separation anxiety etc. Both of mine came from homes where owners worked full time, and we're fine and have been fine with me, but I purposely got two so they have company during the day. I'm out the house probably 4 days a week, on 2 of the days a dog walker comes in at lunch time, the third my mum and the fourth they're on their own and I wfh one day a week (during which they mainly sleep or have a little potter).

They are happy dogs - no signs of chewing / destruction and rarely an accident - they don't even look up at me when I leave the house but get plenty of fuss when I get home! I do make sure that I'm in most evenings / weekends or they're out with me, and they sleep in my room overnight so they're not left on they're own in the kitchen.

A long time ago I rescued two elderly dogs from dogs trust. Was very open about working hours and dogs trust were fine saying that my two had had that much neglect (and sadly they really had - they were in a shocking state) that the most important thing was to be in a warm cosy environment where they could sleep in comfy beds with fresh water and food - and this is exactly what I gave them.

Just think carefully about the right breed, size and age to suit your lifestyle and so you and your dog are the best match.

ImBrian Thu 02-Mar-17 08:14:32

I have two small dogs and work three days a week, until my man retired I had a dog walker once a week and I came home at lunch time the other days. Now my mam walks them on a lunch time for me. I did have a dog when I was full time, she was an ancient lurcher who used to snooze on the sofa all day. puppies need a good few weeks spent with them before they can be left for a few hours but it can be doable, my dog walker had a puppy package where she would pop in on a hourly/two hourly basis.

allfurcoatnoknickers Thu 02-Mar-17 16:54:08

I got two adult rescues and have a dogwalker who takes them out in the middle of the day. I also have a doggy daycare I use if I'm likely to be very late home in busy periods at the office.

Both dogs are absolutely fine with being left as they know their routine and know someone will always be coming to walk them. Similar to yellow, they're both rescues from horrible backgrounds, so the most important thing to both of them is safety, stability and routine.

Mrstumbletap Sat 04-Mar-17 00:17:52

I would love that, to get a dog that had been neglected and spoil it with love for its last few years.

Yellowlambbanana do you have any advice for size, breed, age etc? As I have had a rough collie when I was younger, and then a border/terrier mix, both so lovely and look after my MIL's King Charles often, love them all. I do like mixed breeds as I have heard they live longer, but I also 'little' dogs like Yorkies.

I have a three year old so as long as they are good with children I would be happy. I wouldn't be against getting two either so they had company, is it common for two to know each other in a rescue place, that would be happy in each other's company? Or do you usually have to introduce them to each other and hope they get on?

annandale Sat 04-Mar-17 00:26:11

I'll be honest, that's a really huge expense and commitment. £60 a week on dog walking, before any of the other costs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now